Used Pointe Shoes

There’s an interesting article in today’s Links drawing attention to the many thousands of used pointe shoes and highlighting several initiatives by Pacific North West Ballet which aim to up cycle them. I wonder what the situation is here in the UK, and what happens to the vast numbers of old pointe shoes disposed of by major companies. I am aware of appeals to support the cost of new shoes, but have never seen anything about the recycling implications of old shoes. Perhaps someone can shed some light.

• Like 2

I know that some companies used to send them to countries that need them.  I remember shoes being sent to Romania a few years ago, but not sure if that still happens.  Sorry to be so vague, but I don't want to give wrong information about what happens today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone was recently asking in Doing Dance for used pointe shoes to decorate.

Some companies have, in the past, offered used pointe shoes of principal dancers (signed) for sale, for prizes or gifts for donors.  (Not pointe shoes but friends arranged for me to get a signed pair of Chi Cao's shoes for a significant birthday).

Coincidentally there is a feature in Links today about what Pacific North West Ballet does with used pointe shoes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Coincidentally there is a feature in Links today about what Pacific North West Ballet does with used pointe shoes.

As I noted above, that’s  the reason I started the thread Janet!

I’m finding it difficult to believe that companies haven’t made statements in recent years regarding the disposal of the shoes. It’s an awful lot of shoes for landfill.

I’ve seen several small initiatives, similar to the one described in the article in the Links,where artists have made use of them in installations, but I’m surprised it’s not something that is used as a fund raising stream.

• Like 1

At DNB they sell signed, used pointe shoes from dancers at various levels to raise money for a really reasonable price (no more than a pair of brand new shoes). 
There is a nice opportunity to invest in dancers lower down the ranks on whom you might be placing your bets for success.

• Like 1

I really find it hard to understand why anyone wants a pair of used, grubby,  battered, sweaty pointe shoes. Yes I can appreciate possibly owning a pair someone famous wore to an acclaimed performance, but the rest? 

For anyone worried about them going to landfill however, traditionally made shoes are made from biodegradable materials. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roberta said:

I really find it hard to understand why anyone wants a pair of used, grubby,  battered, sweaty pointe shoes. Yes I can appreciate possibly owning a pair someone famous wore to an acclaimed performance, but the rest? 

For anyone worried about them going to landfill however, traditionally made shoes are made from biodegradable materials. 

A signed pair of Martha Leebolt's pointe shoes is one of my prized possessions and a lovely reminder of one of my most favourite dancers.