Royal Opera House Stalls Circle Standing View

Hi All!

Hopefully this is in the correct forum, new to the site!

Does anyone have any pictures of the view of the stage from the standing spots in the stalls circle at the Royal Opera House? Just trying to gauge if the Grand Tier above impacts the full view of the stage as I can only find the pictures from the Royal Opera House website and I feel like if you're leaning on the bar rather than fully standing you'd have a less obstructed view than what the Royal Opera House pictures show (FYI I'm in seats D36-39, not D7 per the picture I've included but I couldn't find a way to select any of these seats to show the view after purchase).

Thanks!

image.png.7300e67cac14736045d5787c8511b630.png

if you click on the seat on any seating plan whether sold or not you ought still to get the view. the DGT does cut off the top of the stage but it has never bothered me.

I'd rate d36-39 as good standing places.  they are central so you'll see the full width of the stage. as to height, though the bar is level, the places are on a rake with 36 being the lowest, 39 the highest.  how much 'height' of the stage you will see/will be cut off also depends on the height of the person watching and the production itself. a shorter person has a better angle looking upwards. note that there are also lighting (or other technical boxes above some of those places, you can see them in the pictures) which can impede the upward angle view. I don't know what you've booked, but if it's Manon I doubt that you'll  miss anything, however, if it's Nutcracker you won't see the tree grow to full height. 

resting on the bar is ok, but leaning over for a better view isn't good etiquette as it will invade the space of the person sitting in front of you and you may get a negative response so it's worth bearing this in mind. if your knees are good then if you want an extreme upward angle crouching now and then is the better option.

NB bear in mind that the standing places are at specific locations and moving sideways isn't possible if the adjacent places are filled.  d39 is an exception as it is at the end on the aisle.   if the usher on duty is amenable, it is possible to edge a little sideways for a view of the stage.

most standing places are unsuitable for children for, unless they can see over the bar they won't be able to see anything except the top of the stage ;-).   d39 is an exception as it is at the end on the aisle.   if the usher on duty is amenable, it is possible to edge a little sideways for a view of the stage.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Almost anywhere between D.23 to D.40 is good standing I think I’ve noted D.28 to 33 as being the very best of all but others may think differently! 
I don’t like the extreme ends so not D1-5 or the upper end D.50 as I’m taller and think those ends are harder for anyone over 5ft 8ins!! If I’m in those I sometimes stand flattened against the back wall but this only comfortable for a while so tend to avoid as it’s bad enough standing now at my advanced age and have already ruled out standing for Sleeping Beauty or Swan Lake again (except for exceptional circumstances) only because it’s longer than an hour before a break!! D.10 is also blocked a bit with a pillar too. 
But I do think your standing ticks are okay and if younger than 65 you will be fine!!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, PeterS said:

if you click on the seat on any seating plan whether sold or not you ought still to get the view. the DGT does cut off the top of the stage but it has never bothered me.

I'd rate d36-39 as good standing places.  they are central so you'll see the full width of the stage. as to height, though the bar is level, the places are on a rake with 36 being the lowest, 39 the highest.  how much 'height' of the stage you will see/will be cut off also depends on the height of the person watching and the production itself. a shorter person has a better angle looking upwards. note that there are also lighting (or other technical boxes above some of those places, you can see them in the pictures) which can impede the upward angle view. I don't know what you've booked, but if it's Manon I doubt that you'll  miss anything, however, if it's Nutcracker you won't see the tree grow to full height. 

I stood in d38 for Swan Lake last night. the top half of the stage is cut off by the overhang and the lighting boxes to the top right hand side.  in the white Acts this meant that the sky and the moon weren't visible. in the Black Swan Act, I crouched down to see what might be obscured to find that the palace has beautifully vaulted and painted ceilings hidden from view. the top of the staircase is visible so that the entrance of the black swan is seen in full.  the illusion of the white swan in the mirror above the staircase is however partially lost. 

17 hours ago, PeterS said:

NB bear in mind that the standing places are at specific locations and moving sideways isn't possible if the adjacent places are filled.  d39 is an exception as it is at the end on the aisle.   if the usher on duty is amenable, it is possible to edge a little sideways for a view of the stage.

most standing places are unsuitable for children for, unless they can see over the bar they won't be able to see anything except the top of the stage ;-).   d39 is an exception as it is at the end on the aisle.   if the usher on duty is amenable, it is possible to edge a little sideways for a view of the stage.

IF I could delete these words from my previous post, I would. if the mods can do so, PLEASE, PLEASE, do.

I retract my hypothetical statement in the light of practical experience. for the first act last night a parent and child ended up standing in d39. (they originally had tickets in the d28-d32 range where the child could see nothing). they were moved by a well-intentioned patron to d39 to give the child a chance of seeing the stage shortly before curtain up and too late for the usher, busy occupied dealing with other patrons, to intervene. the child was only able to see over the bar by standing on a booster cushion, an accident waiting to happen, with the parent standing behind to steady and calm the child as it became tired and bored, standing, sitting, stretching as the beauty unfolded onstage. some the child saw, much it didn't.

standing in the aisle to the side to the bar as I have previously suggested was no better for a child that height as it's view was still blocked by the people sitting in the rows in front. very much a failed experiment which unsettled the patrons around including myself.

they didn't return after the first interval so at least the parent knew the child well enough to accept it was too young/tired/had seen enough/was well past it's bedtime to enjoy the production or even that the parent had admitted to making a mistake booking those places. for that, I salute them.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2

Oh very bad luck with that. At least they left but a shame for everyone concerned. 

I found sitting further back side amphi for rehearsal the curtain pelmet obscured the lovely moon. That's a real shame ..it's an important part of the scene.

I would love to walk around the palace set and see that ceiling.

• Like 1