Senior School Final Auditions

teddy24

My son has got through to the final auditions for Central and Elmhurst.  He currently dances at his local dance school to a good level, and has been doing Northern Ballet Associates for just under a year, but he's up against Royal Ballet Associates, and Royal Ballet and Elmhurst Lower School.  Does anyone have experience of how many non associate or lower school children get through at final audition?  I am just wondering what his chances realistically are.

36 minutes ago, teddy24 said:

My son has got through to the final auditions for Central and Elmhurst.  He currently dances at his local dance school to a good level, and has been doing Northern Ballet Associates for just under a year, but he's up against Royal Ballet Associates, and Royal Ballet and Elmhurst Lower School.  Does anyone have experience of how many non associate or lower school children get through at final audition?  I am just wondering what his chances realistically are.

I wouldn’t be worrying about whether he is an RB associate etc. That doesn’t make a difference. 

If they like him enough to get through to finals then he has a chance at a place. 

Both Central and Elmhurst look for different things. Central take on a whole new year group so there are more places to give out which means more of a chance. 

Well done to him for getting to finals and good luck. If it’s a no this year you can try again next year. 

Hi Teddy 24 I know of previous non vocational students going to both those schools so I would say he’s got a good chance at the finals. There is often a big shuffle around of students leaving lower schools for other upper schools with 16 plus intake in this country  and also some going to train abroad.  Don’t be intimidated by other students’ expensive   dance training, in the end they are looking for those who have potential, good technique and the personal qualities that make a dancer. Good luck ! 

20 hours ago, Ballet Saga said:

I wouldn’t be worrying about whether he is an RB associate etc. That doesn’t make a difference. 

If they like him enough to get through to finals then he has a chance at a place. 

Both Central and Elmhurst look for different things. Central take on a whole new year group so there are more places to give out which means more of a chance. 

Well done to him for getting to finals and good luck. If it’s a no this year you can try again next year. 

Thank you so much for that.  Makes me feel a little more reassured for him.  It's a stressful time and all-consuming. Looking forward to it being over.

18 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

Hi Teddy 24 I know of previous non vocational students going to both those schools so I would say he’s got a good chance at the finals. There is often a big shuffle around of students leaving lower schools for other upper schools with 16 plus intake in this country  and also some going to train abroad.  Don’t be intimidated by other students’ expensive   dance training, in the end they are looking for those who have potential, good technique and the personal qualities that make a dancer. Good luck ! 

Thank you.  Your response is much appreciated.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, teddy24 said:

Thank you so much for that.  Makes me feel a little more reassured for him.  It's a stressful time and all-consuming. Looking forward to it being over.

It’s an awful time! It really does take over. 

I’m pleased you feel more reassured. 

The best thing to do is go into it and try and enjoy it. I really hope he gets the school of his choice. 

On 05/03/2024 at 12:42, Ballet Saga said:

It’s an awful time! It really does take over. 

I’m pleased you feel more reassured. 

The best thing to do is go into it and try and enjoy it. I really hope he gets the school of his choice. 

It really is the most stressful process to go through, I think all children going through this are just incredibly strong.  As a parent it's an emotional rollercoaster, at the end of the day we just want our kids to be happy.  Thank you so much for you advice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dancingboy65 said:

DS was a Northern Associate and at a local dance school. He was offered RCS, Rambert and Central and went to Central in the end. Good luck to your DS!

Thank you.  Did he enjoy Central? Is he still there?

On 06/03/2024 at 12:12, tutugirl said:

My student got Central last year . Trained totally by us ! Not an associate or anything .

Good luck 

Thank you.  Are they enjoying it there?

On 04/03/2024 at 15:19, teddy24 said:

My Ds started ballet aged 12 and was non vocational when he auditioned for Elmhurst US. At 16 he made finals but got a no. He was very raw and petite. He went to his local high school to do A levels and did a year as an RBS SA. He reapplied at 17 and was successful. An extra year can make a lot of difference. There is no rush for boys I feel.
He trained for 3 years and has been professional for 5 now. 

I’m sat at Gatwick currently waiting for a flight to go and watch him dance 🤣 

Just stay calm, what will be will be. 
Luck plays a huge part in auditions and success. And the reality isn’t all we dream it will be. 

• Like 2