MDS funding

Lissieloo

Hi all

just out of curiosity, how many of you have received MDS funding and at which year group were you in when you applied for it? 
For no reason, just interested to see if there is a particular year group who are more likely to receive it. 

2 minutes ago, Mum to a boy dancer said:

My DS has an MDS award. He received it for year 7 entry. We are a few years passed that now x

Do you automatically get the funding for the duration of the schooling or do you have to reapply each year? X

You don't have to re-apply, but I believe in certain circumstances it can be withdrawn, which basically has the effect of assessing you out. I do think they have to confirm your income level each year though, to ensure that you still qualify.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2024 at 14:05, Lissieloo said:

Do you automatically get the funding for the duration of the schooling or do you have to reapply each year? X

You are under contractual obligation to inform them of any change in circumstances year on year & of course for student to meet conditions (this not necessarily as straightforward as it sounds.....& personally I do think there should be greater government checking up on this as in our personal experience certain schools/certain teachers seem to use this as their own gift to bestow or remove & it can create an unhealthy environment of fear of removal of funding & also an unhealthy 'competition' or wrong feeling of place in the pecking order/superiority between parents & even between pupils. All good reasons to keep finance confidential. Yes, kids need to understand the costs/implications & sadly do have to 'compete' for the funded places & to understand the value of the money being invested in their training (be that family savings or borrowings, government or charity money etc) but beyond that it is perhaps better to keep discussions to the minimum. One rarely would share finance info in any normal school setting afterall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dancemum100 said:

If your child received an MDS award could you also say whether they got it straight away or after being on a waiting list pls? Trying to surround myself with positive stories 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 

I’ve known people to get them from the waitlist. Some kids may have offers from more than one school and also an MDS to go with it so there will be movement. Sometimes it can be very last minute! Like the end of summer! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2024 at 11:15, Dancemum100 said:

If your child received an MDS award could you also say whether they got it straight away or after being on a waiting list pls? Trying to surround myself with positive stories 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 

My DS received his MDS straight away, if I remember correctly it was 2 days after the audition but there’s a lot of kids who received it from the waitlist. Some a week later and some late into the summer