Illness and Auditions

Swanwings

1 hour ago, Swanwings said:

Does anyone have any experience of their dc having to miss a school audition due to illness... particularly upper schools. Are they quite flexible and offer some alternatives? 

Some might say that it sounds harsh but for many schools and colleges turning up is a sign of resilience. An inner skill & strength that dancers have to possess . Unless obviously it’s contagious or a messy illness 🤢
Not to say it’s ideal at all but their actions do indicate their attitude and aptitude that can’t be recorded on a cv, going forward into training and the profession itself. 

• Like 2

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I though that the DaDa auditions had to be conducted in one audition 🤔

I remember one of Dd friends having a very serious injury before the DaDa audition and being told that because she couldn’t attend she couldn’t be considered. She could be offered a place but not the funding. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lifeafterballet said:

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I though that the DaDa auditions had to be conducted in one audition

I'm not sure that this is true - or at least it wasn't when DD was auditioning. Northern Ballet School conducted a number of audition days, but you didn't have to go back for a second audition for DADA funding. My understanding was that successful applicants were ranked on the basis of their performance in the audition they attended, so when DADA funding was allocated to the school in March, NBS went down the list making offers from the top ranked downwards.  Of course different schools may have different policies depending on how they choose to conduct their auditions.

This is the government guidance on DADAs https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dance-and-drama-awards-guide-2023-to-2024-academic-year/dance-and-drama-awards-guide#student-eligibility

@Swanwings - I would speak to the school and see what they say. I am sure you are not taking this decision lightly. 

• Like 3