PRESS RELEASE - LONDON CITY BALLET ANNOUNCES RETURN TO SADLER’S WELLS IN AUTUMN THIS YEAR

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Cira Robinson, Alejandro Virelles, Joseph Taylor and Alina Cojocaru all in the same company (albeit Alina as a guest in London only)?!! I'm blinking because it doesn't feel real- feels like Vail Festival or some gala! 

Not to be silly but given that Alina just withdrew from her BRB Sleeping Beauty dates at Sadlers Wells (which were set for not long after) do we have confirmation of her participation in this important season? 

42 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Not to be silly but given that Alina just withdrew from her BRB Sleeping Beauty dates at Sadlers Wells (which were set for not long after) do we have confirmation of her participation in this important season? 

Cojocaru's Sleeping Beauty dates with BRB were April, the London City Ballet dates are September. She hasn't cancelled London City Ballet, so giving her the benefit of the doubt, I would say that for now I'd assume she can dance with them in Ballade. After all, dancers cancel all the time for various reasons- that's the nature of the art form.

I actually booked my tickets before knowing she would be involved- I actually expected it to be a company of dancers I don't know at all. I am just thrilled that Christopher Marney is making a go of reviving the plucky and respected company that did such wonderful work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Sorry if this has been asked before - does anyone know which dancers will be dancing on which nights?

Given there are so few dancers I would guess that most dancers will be dancing most nights...

• Like 2

I'm rather surprised to see the company is coming to my local theatre, as it's uncommon for ballet companies to do so. Now I don't know whether to see the programme there, which will be cheaper, or to go to Sadler's Wells, which will cost more but has the inducements of a much larger stage & added Cojocaru.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm rather surprised to see the company is coming to my local theatre, as it's uncommon for ballet companies to do so. Now I don't know whether to see the programme there, which will be cheaper, or to go to Sadler's Wells, which will cost more but has the inducements of a much larger stage & added Cojocaru.

I'm going to the local theatre (York) because (given a choice) I like to support local theatres and give them the benefit of my ticket prices because a lot of them are struggling.  So I will definitely be booking there rather than Sadlers Wells.  Also it means I don't have to pay for trains, hotels etc. 

I'm really glad they're going to some of the smaller less well known theatres, it's good for people to see these ballets in places they might not otherwise catch them.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

London Ballet Circle will be In Conversation via zoom, with LCB Artistic Director, Christopher Marney later today.  

It will be fascinating to hear how this project began and what it has taken to get to this point.  

Monday 13 May 2024 at 7pm

join us here 

• Like 2

On 09/04/2024 at 22:52, Dawnstar said:

I guess it depends on whether you feel Cojocaru's dancing in Ballade and the larger stage are worth the price difference and longer journey? (Plus the usual caveat of casting subject to changes).

Christopher Marney explained t9 London a ballet Circle last night that he specifically wanted to revive London City Ballet because they used to tour to smaller theatres of the UK.  

When he got in touch with those theatres they were all keen to have shows of good quality ballet, and from a UK company.  so I believe all the current venues used to see LCB decades ago. 

• Like 2