Streaming services

I'd be grateful for any feedback you might have on streaming services (either with subscription or pay-per-view). I know that ROH and POB have them, and that there are some  that bring together different companies etc (e.g. Marquee) - what is your experience with them? are there any others worth looking at? thanks in advance!

Definitely check out Medici TV. It has a big focus on symphony and opera, but a lot of ballet as well.  I had Marquee TV for a while, but maxed out what I wanted to see there, so switched over to Medici to get some different things. I did notice that a lot of the ROH things in Marquee are the same as what you can see on ROH streaming, so that wasn’t a plus for me, as I had ROH as well. And I also check out Amazon Prime for the occasional rental when I can’t find something on any other service (e.g., full length classical Raymonda. Hard to find!  I did find it on Prime by POB). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 17/01/2024 at 20:20, Ginny said:

Definitely check out Medici TV. It has a big focus on symphony and opera, but a lot of ballet as well.  I had Marquee TV for a while, but maxed out what I wanted to see there, so switched over to Medici to get some different things. I did notice that a lot of the ROH things in Marquee are the same as what you can see on ROH streaming, so that wasn’t a plus for me, as I had ROH as well. And I also check out Amazon Prime for the occasional rental when I can’t find something on any other service (e.g., full length classical Raymonda. Hard to find!  I did find it on Prime by POB). 

Medici TV is great but not perfect some ballets have a best before (later of a date isn't available) , I tried with Opera de paris play but their catalogue is poor , i would expected more but just have the latest ballet from past season but older ones like Bayadere from 1992 or others no too recent they hadn't . ROH streaming is ok ,image quality is nice and audio quality is great but is expensive in the long term and Amazon prime here in Chile , nothing ,no ballets neither similar. 

Edited by jorge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Jorge and welcome!

May I ask if you have the opportunity to see Ballet De Santiago in the theatre?  It has recently been announced that Cesar Morales will be the Artistic Director soon and his British fans would love to hear news of him.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hello Jorge and welcome!

May I ask if you have the opportunity to see Ballet De Santiago in the theatre?  It has recently been announced that Cesar Morales will be the Artistic Director soon and his British fans would love to hear news of him.

Hello Jan, I didn't had the opportunity to see ballet in the theater since 2009 , well was during the epoch that Marcia Haydee was artistic director for me was the best artistic director that had ballet of Santiago .

Is great that Cesar be the new director because the ex director Luis Ortigorza had to resign because a strike from the ballet of Santiago due to some bad practice and not good work conditions and a trial on Laboral Justice, well it was a great dancer but for be a director needs more aptitude and competence and logically the evidence is present.

I hope during this year go to theater and see a ballet also I wish to Cesar all the best and success as artistic director. Is a great news and for me was a true surprise. 

Edited by jorge
Forgot adds detail
  • Like 7

@jorge thank you for this information and recent history on Ballet de Santiago.    

You raise some interesting points that not all good dancers make good directors or good people managers or good business managers.  It’s a complex job requiring working together with theatre management too.  I hope Cesar has lots of support there.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jorge said:

Hello Jan, I didn't had the opportunity to see ballet in the theater since 2009 , well was during the epoch that Marcia Haydee was artistic director for me was the best artistic director that had ballet of Santiago .

Is great that Cesar be the new director because the ex director Luis Ortigorza had to resign because a strike from the ballet of Santiago due to some bad practice and not good work conditions and a trial on Laboral Justice, well it was a great dancer but for be a director needs more aptitude and competence and logically the evidence is present.

I hope during this year go to theater and see a ballet also I wish to Cesar all the best and success as artistic director. Is a great news and for me was a true surprise. 

Hola Jorge.  If you do go to see some ballet in Santiago, please let us know what you think of it.  Gracias!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FionaM said:

@jorge thank you for this information and recent history on Ballet de Santiago.    

You raise some interesting points that not all good dancers make good directors or good people managers or good business managers.  It’s a complex job requiring working together with theatre management too.  I hope Cesar has lots of support there.  

I'm sure Cesar will have a lot of support. Generally in Chile when somebody is new in workplace or position it supports a lot.

@FionaM I think that for be AD needs a right balance between artistic and analytical thinking but the ex artistic director didn't known concilie both poles.  like suddenly a person that had a way to behave changes its way and forgets their roots and origins and become a negative leadership  "a person is the same people and keeps their value and world perspective no matter if is a supermarket cashier,  orchestra member or president of a country" 

@Sim i hope during this year go to the theater and will share my impressions with yours . I think from 2009 to now there was a lot changes and I hope this year there's more repertoire classique because last year 60% of repertoire was contemporary and is ok but forgets  about classics like la bayadere or Raymonda isn't ok.

• Like 3

On 23/01/2024 at 17:58, jorge said:

I think from 2009 to now there was a lot changes and I hope this year there's more repertoire classique because last year 60% of repertoire was contemporary and is ok but forgets  about classics like la bayadere or Raymonda isn't ok.

A major issue here in the Uk too Jorge, I think a lot of us share your concern!

• Like 1