Ballet Rambert archive material

Hello everyone, first time poster here although have been reading for a while, much enjoying the discussions. Seeking some thoughts and advice from forum members regarding some material I have relating to the Ballet Rambert school and company. My mother won a scholarship to study at Rambert school from 1954-56 and subsequently danced in the corps de ballet there and in theatres across the UK for a few years including at Sadlers Wells in 1961 before retiring from dance due to injury. Following her death a few years ago, I've been sorting out her personal collection and have found a scrapbook she compiled during that period which has lots of press cuttings, publicity photos and autographs from Marie Rambert herself and other leading figures of the time including John Chesworth, Alexander Bennett, Margaret Hill, Gillian Martlew etc. I'm just not sure what to do with it - maybe there is an archive at Ramber that would be interested?

Hi Marc, and welcome to the forum!  Have you contacted Ballet Rambert to ask them?  They are such a historic company that I am sure they have some kind of archive. They will be able to advise you, I’m sure.  

Thank you @Sim yes, in fact as I'm only 20 mins away from the Rambert building on the South Bank, I might try actually taking it in there to show them! Another interesting thing the photos and clipping showed was how much ballet featured in the news and was covered in the papers and magazines back then, it was seen as a major cultural event for the UK.

• Like 2

Hello marcse8 

If the Rambert is not interested in your material I can put you in touch with somebody who would be whose mother also danced with the Company around that time. 
One of my dance teachers has also very recently compiled a 2024 calendar in memory of John O Brien  ( I’m sure many older ex dancing members of this Forum will remember his classes at the original Dance Centre in Floral Street!)  which could contain pictures of your mother. 
Anyway do let me know if you have no luck with the Rambert in London  and I can DM you with other possibilities for your material. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, marcse8 said:

Thank you @Sim yes, in fact as I'm only 20 mins away from the Rambert building on the South Bank, I might try actually taking it in there to show them! Another interesting thing the photos and clipping showed was how much ballet featured in the news and was covered in the papers and magazines back then, it was seen as a major cultural event for the UK.

Ah yes, those good old days when ballet wasn't seen as 'elitist' and was for everyone:  covered in the newspapers and on TV so that everyone could learn and be entertained.

• Like 5

Rambert have an extensive archive. You can find details here

https://rambert.org.uk/explore/rambert-archive/

"The Rambert Archive holds significant collections documenting the evolution of British dance. It tells the story of the development of Britain’s oldest dance company as we moved from classical ballet, through embracing modern American and other influences, to become a 21st century contemporary dance company.

With over 500 costumes, 700 posters, thousands of images and objects, dance notation, music and footage, the collections held in the Rambert Archive demonstrate the company’s pioneering work in dance throughout the 20th century to present day collaborations." 

"Rambert Archive FAQs

Can I donate items to the Rambert Archive?

We welcome donations of archive material to the collections. We collect material that relates to the company, to our collaborators and heritage. Please view the collection development policy (download below) for more information. If you have material which you feel should be in the Archive, please email rambert.archive@rambert.org.uk with details of your collection or write to the Rambert Archive"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Success ! I paid a visit to the archive at Ballet Rambert yesterday and the helpful archivist Daniel was happy to accept my mum's scrapbook. They will catalogue and take it into their collection for future use. Thank you to everyone for the advice.

• Like 9