LSCD or Laban?

Sparks82

Hi all,

My daughter has received 2 offers for September this week. One for LCDS contemporary dance degree and another for Trinity Laban contemporary dance degree with foundation year.

I’m interested in your opinions! Which option is better and why? My daughter loved Laban after doing the summer school this year but being offered the foundation year has thrown her a little. It essentially means it’s a 4 year course instead of 3 and I guess they’re saying she’s not quite at the level to go straight into the degree.

However, they seemed to love her at LCDS and she was buzzing after the audition (even before receiving her offer).

We’re just trying to get as much info and as many viewpoints as possible to assist her in making a decision.

She also still has auditions for Rambert and LSC to come, although she has it in her head that she doesn’t look ballet enough for Rambert! 

SM

6 hours ago, Sparks82 said:

that she doesn’t look ballet enough for Rambert! 

Ha - back in their day, my dancer wouldn’t audition for Rambert as they felt they didn’t  look contemporary enough!! 
But as they say you have to be in it to win it so congrats to your DD on getting out there & also for already having 2 fantastic offers - great achievement! 
(Only heard good things about both places but no direct experience to offer insights but I’m sure others on here will)

Edited by Peanut68
Typo

Congratulations to your DD @Sparks82. What a great start for her.  I have no personal experience of either school, but would say there is a lot to be said for going with your gut feeling and what made you 'buzz'.

I would add that 4 years is a long time. I know that my dd was very ready to be out in the world earning her living by the time she came to the end of a three year course.

• Like 1

How old is your daughter?  I think accepting a foundation year if she is 16 is a different prospect to if she was 18.  And particualy for contemporary - I can't see it as a problem, more as a vote of confidence in her ability. My DS was just 16 when he started his ballet degree - I think he would have benefitted tremendously from a fourth year, both in terms of emotional and physical maturity at the end of his course.  

As for which to go for ..

gut is important

accommodation?  

travel costs?

location of school (central london vs Greenwich, very different vibes)

Being with other performers - Trinity is part of a mixed artistic community vs purely dancers

Supporting facilities for wider studies

Also bear in mind the musicians at Trinity are, I believe, automatically on a four year course so a four year dance course won't be seen as unusual.

Good luck!

Meadowblythe