New Christopher Wheeldon work “Oscar” for The Australian Ballet and their 2024 Season

The Australian Ballet recently announced their 2024 season and with the recent excitement about their London Tour, I thought this would be an interesting topic.

One piece of repertoire that stood out to me, the creation and performance of a new work by Christopher Wheeldon, titled “Oscar” it is a ballet about the life and stories of Oscar Wilde. I know Christopher Wheeldon has created new productions with other companies besides the Royal Ballet, but I believe this to be his first one to feature an original story with an original score by Joby Talbot. The Australian Ballet states: “a full-length production commissioned exclusively for The Australian Ballet.” So not a co-production, but presumably at some point in the coming years it will be performed by other companies. What are your thoughts on this announcement?

More details can be found on the Australian Ballets Website.

The season dates for Oscar are:

Melbourne 13 - 24 September 2024

Sydney 8 - 23 November 2024

Here’s the rest of the Australian Ballet’s Season:

Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland (Wheeldon’s production first performed in Australia 2017)

Sydney 20 February - 5 March (16)

Melbourne 15 - 26 March (13)

Carmen (Johan Ingers production also being performed at English National ballet in 2024, The Australian Ballet’s first time performing this work)

Sydney 10 - 27 April 2024

Etudes/ Circle Electric (double Bill, Etudes and a new work by Australian Choreographer Stephanie Lake)

Sydney 3 - 18 May 2024

Melbourne 2 - 9 October 2024

Jewels (Touring to another major capital in Australia, Adelaide, after seasons in Sydney, Melbourne and London in 2023)

Adelaide 12 - 18 July 2024

The Nutcracker (1990 BRB production has somewhat frequently been revived in Australia since 2007)

Sydney 30 November - 18 December 2024

Edited by Benjamin
Removed a link.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Heard yesterday (admittedly it might be old news to those who already know!) that Ty King-Wal, one of their recently retired principal dancers (at the young age of 35!) has been appointed the new Artistic Director of Royal New Zealand Ballet. Congratulations to Ty! (Ty is from NZ and trained in NZ till 16, then trained and danced in Australia.) But can’t help wondering if that means his wife, Australian Ballet principal ballerina Amber Scott, might be moving with him to NZ with their two young children and leaving the company soon as a result. I was sad not to see her on the London tour, after watching so many of her performances on tv and watching her online interviews and excerpts of her dancing. But still- congratulations to Ty and his family, and RNZB! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Ty King-Wal, one of their recently retired principal dancers (at the young age of 35!) has been appointed the new Artistic Director of Royal New Zealand Ballet.

Yes I read that in yesterday's links. Congratulations to him!

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Heard yesterday (admittedly it might be old news to those who already know!) that Ty King-Wal, one of their recently retired principal dancers (at the young age of 35!) has been appointed the new Artistic Director of Royal New Zealand Ballet. Congratulations to Ty! (Ty is from NZ and trained in NZ till 16, then trained and danced in Australia.) But can’t help wondering if that means his wife, Australian Ballet principal ballerina Amber Scott, might be moving with him to NZ with their two young children and leaving the company soon as a result. I was sad not to see her on the London tour, after watching so many of her performances on tv and watching her online interviews and excerpts of her dancing. But still- congratulations to Ty and his family, and RNZB! 

Amber has already left the company.  She is finishing her wonderful career as Odette/Odile. She might have just danced her final show...not sure exactly when it is.  I am sure @Sophoife will enlighten us.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sim said:

Amber has already left the company.  She is (or just has) finishing her wonderful career as Odette/Odile.

Ah! I see she is dancing on 21, and 27 September and her final performance on 30 September. I missed the company announcement and interview last week about her impending retirement as I was busy organising for an audition (a relative’s, not mine!). She’s still listed as being with the company for now, and as a company principal. Wishing Amber all the very best! I’m sure all three Swan Lakes will be spectacular and very emotional for her, the company and her fans. Am already expecting some brilliant photos and a videoed speech or two onstage. 😊

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

The Australian Ballet recently announced their 2024 season and with the recent excitement about their London Tour, I thought this would be an interesting topic.

One piece of repertoire that stood out to me, the creation and performance of a new work by Christopher Wheeldon, titled “Oscar” it is a ballet about the life and stories of Oscar Wilde. I know Christopher Wheeldon has created new productions with other companies besides the Royal Ballet, but I believe this to be his first one to feature an original story with an original score by Joby Talbot. The Australian Ballet states: “a full-length production commissioned exclusively for The Australian Ballet.” So not a co-production, but presumably at some point in the coming years it will be performed by other companies. What are your thoughts on this announcement?

Definitely a first full length with original music....to be accurate about whether it’s first of any length, I’d have to research reams of other scores and am a bit too busy at the moment 😊. Sounds like a promising piece!

My other thought (not related to Oscar but to the rest of the season) was, hmm, a lot of people seem to rate this production of Carmen even though I didn’t like the (official) online videos I saw. Maybe I’ll give it a chance and buy tickets to one performance. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

I was rather hoping that Wheeldon would start working with some new creative collaborators. 

Agree.  The sound and look of his ballets are too samey.  

I hope this one is closer to Winter’s Tale in its use of drama and dance … and without theatrical gimmicks.  

• Like 4

I am extremely annoyed that next year will see only three productions in the company's home city of Melbourne. The Ashton double bill exclusive to Sydney this year? No. The gorgeous Nutcracker without the angels on wheels and the nephew? No. Carmen? No. 

Alice that we've seen quite recently? Sure. Oscar? Sure. Études/Circle Electric? Yes. Stephanie Lake's piece BTW was created on the six more junior company dancers who "led" the recent "national regional tour", so cannot be claimed as a 2024 première. The dancers loved the process.

The theatre to be used is extremely inaccessible for the less-mobile, i.e. my lovely mum. No close parking and lots of steps. Next door to a major building site (the new Metro tunnel).

Ty King-Wall notoriously had back and other injury issues throughout his career. The best thing I ever saw him do was an astonishing Lensky, I couldn't believe it was him, I was so thrilled and happy. There was acting. Otherwise he was wonderful for me in parts that required lovely dancing but no actual acting [smirk].

Amber Scott is a beautiful dancer and person who will be much missed, I hope RNZB takes advantage of her when Ty takes up the AD job. Sadly my subscription night isn't her but I'm going to try and get a return (the entire season is sold out) for one of her shows.

Re Swan Lake and the company "needing" a brand new classical version: Stephen Baynes' 2012 production has been completely chucked out, including the stunning designs. Yes, it needed a dramaturg but gosh the lake acts' patterns were beautiful and there was one great coup de théâtre. Quite sad and extremely expensive to ditch and replace. Could've kept the production and spent the money on dancers?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The creation of Oscar looks exciting and I hope it will be also performed elsewhere in Europe later (Royal Ballet hopefully).

Regarding the remaining part of the season, it's ok but I must admit that I am bored with so many pieces about Carmen, be it as ballets, musical theatre, etc. At this point every creation on this story does not anymore bring something new. It would be much more exciting, for a new ballet, to explore other topics.

Edited by Paco
  • Like 3

Just now, Paco said:

Regarding the remaining part of the season, it's ok but I must admit that I am bored with so many pieces about Carmen, be it as ballets, musical theatre, etc. At this point every creation on this story does not anymore bring something new. It would be much more exciting, for a new ballet, to explore other topics.

I agree, and have said so elsewhere recently on the forum.   Carmen is my ballet equivalent of House of the Rising Sun....nice the first 200 times, after which I switch off and never want to see/hear them again.  There are so many other stories to be told!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stucha said:

Exclusive to the Australian Ballet only. 

Commissioned by AusBallet, sure.

It's a virtual guarantee that a new full-length Wheeldon/Talbot will be licensed to other companies regardless of co-production status, vide Winter's Tale, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland , and not to forget Cinderella.

• Like 3