dance schools for teens

mumofaladybird

Hi everyone:) This is such an amazing place full of information and experience!

I have a 14 year old daughter who has been doing ballet for years but not in a very professional way. She came to liking dancing a lot more this year and did 1 Intermediate-foundation vocational class, 1 pointe starters, 1 grade 5 ballet and 1  grade 5 midern lessons a week this year. Now she is quitting all her other activities on Saturdays for next year and really wants to find a dance school she can do these and more, like contemporary on a long day. She loves to dance but I don't think she would have gone through an associate program assesment as my understanding is they are looking for quite advanced students and flexibility which she doesn't have at the right level. 

So my question is; do you have any recommendations for us where she can be a part of a school without too much pressure but serious enough? She is very academic and I doubt she will give up on that but just loves dancing. Where do we go? We are in north London but she can travel herself in London or I can drive and drop her further out north from us. 

Thank you so much in advance! 🙏😍🙏

• Like 1

Rambert I believe offer weekend options you could look at - I think across varying levels of experience.

Also Danceworks offer weekend options & can tailor programmes to suit.

Good luck! 

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 1

Yes, as Peanut68 says, Rambert and Danceworks offer a great range of dance classes.  There’s also Pineapple in Covent Garden, The Place (offers among other things “creative dance” classes for teens), and RAD HQ in Battersea (syllabus or non-syllabus ballet classes, as well as Creative/Contemporary).

If your dd wants to do several classes in different genres during her Saturdays, I’d have a look at Danceworks or Pineapple first - both are centrally located and there are loads of shops/cafes nearby for a quick lunch in between classes.  If she wants to concentrate on ballet, RAD non-syllabus classes are excellent.  

• Like 1

I found that the school with the best and most varied Saturday timetable sadly isn’t in London. If you can easily travel to Tring, do check out Tring Park Associates (TPA). Classes are held in the lovely Park Studios of Tring Park School. Even though it’s called “associates”, it’s not exactly like RBS or Central associates (I think Tring’s version of these is their CBA - Classical Ballet Academy).  TPA sounds like absolutely what you’re looking for. My DD spent an amazing few years doing TPA classes and their Saturday timetable has so much to offer (RAD grades, ISTD modern and tap, jazz, PBT, Street, contemporary, pointe, non-syllabus ballet, etc). My DD spent many wonderful Saturdays there, from morning to late afternoon, taking multiple classes. She was entered for syllabus exams and progressed well, obtaining excellent results. It was here where she first grew in confidence and her love for dance was nurtured.  

Your DD will also have the opportunity to make friends as they often spend time together during the breaks in between classes. We left before Covid so I’m not sure if it’s the same set up. Sadly, my DD can’t do Saturdays there anymore due to associates elsewhere but we would totally do it again if we had the chance.  It’s a brilliant arrangement, teachers are great, the whole atmosphere is very nurturing and friendly and inclusive (we never experienced drama or competitiveness, which sadly we found is now often prevalent in a lot of dance schools). My DD always felt like she was seen as an individual, everyone was made to feel special in their own way and never did we feel any real or perceived favouritism. This was a few years ago so I hope things have remained the same as I would highly recommend. Again, this is our personal experience so others might think otherwise. 

Edited by Neverdancedjustamum
  • Like 3

Just to add that I agree for London, Danceworks and Pineapple have great timetables on Saturdays too. However, in our experience and depending on the class and teacher, the classes are very mixed (children up to adults) and some can be more ‘follow-along’ so not ideal if you’re after something which will help your DD progress through consistent feedback and attention as you would (in theory) in a dance school. I say this from experience. My DD has done many of these open classes and masterclasses since she was about 9. If you’re after a great non-syllabus ballet class with lots of feedback and attention (and excellent teaching) and more importantly with similar-aged young dancers, have a look at West London School of Dance’s Pre-senior/Senior ballet class. Both are held in Pineapple on Saturdays term time 9-10.30am. The classes are attended by YDA full time students (hence the standard is very good) but others can register via WLSD.  The Senior class is taught by Anna Du Boisson. I think it might still be but you’d need to contact WLSD to check. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

I found that the school with the best and most varied Saturday timetable sadly isn’t in London. If you can easily travel to Tring, do check out Tring Park Associates (TPA). Classes are held in the lovely Park Studios of Tring Park School. Even though it’s called “associates”, it’s not exactly like RBS or Central associates (I think Tring’s version of these is their CBA - Classical Ballet Academy).  TPA sounds like absolutely what you’re looking for. My DD spent an amazing few years doing TPA classes and their Saturday timetable has so much to offer (RAD grades, ISTD modern and tap, jazz, PBT, Street, contemporary, pointe, non-syllabus ballet, etc). My DD spent many wonderful Saturdays there, from morning to late afternoon, taking multiple classes. She was entered for syllabus exams and progressed well, obtaining excellent results. It was here where she first grew in confidence and her love for dance was nurtured.  

Your DD will also have the opportunity to make friends as they often spend time together during the breaks in between classes. We left before Covid so I’m not sure if it’s the same set up. Sadly, my DD can’t do Saturdays there anymore due to associates elsewhere but we would totally do it again if we had the chance.  It’s a brilliant arrangement, teachers are great, the whole atmosphere is very nurturing and friendly and inclusive (we never experienced drama or competitiveness, which sadly we found is now often prevalent in a lot of dance schools). My DD always felt like she was seen as an individual, everyone was made to feel special in their own way and never did we feel any real or perceived favouritism. This was a few years ago so I hope things have remained the same as I would highly recommend. Again, this is our personal experience so others might think otherwise. 

Great idea!  Is TPA still entry by audition for teens?  I was just wondering if that might be more pressure than mumofaladybird’s dd wants, although I don’t know how competitive TPA auditions are.  If it’s more like a fun class in order to place dancers in the correct level, that would probably be fine.

35 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Just to add that I agree for London, Danceworks and Pineapple have great timetables on Saturdays too. However, in our experience and depending on the class and teacher, the classes are very mixed (children up to adults) and some can be more ‘follow-along’ so not ideal if you’re after something which will help your DD progress through consistent feedback and attention as you would (in theory) in a dance school. I say this from experience. My DD has done many of these open classes and masterclasses since she was about 9. If you’re after a great non-syllabus ballet class with lots of feedback and attention (and excellent teaching) and more importantly with similar-aged young dancers, have a look at West London School of Dance’s Pre-senior/Senior ballet class. Both are held in Pineapple on Saturdays term time 9-10.30am. The classes are attended by YDA full time students (hence the standard is very good) but others can register via WLSD.  The Senior class is taught by Anna Du Boisson. I think it might still be but you’d need to contact WLSD to check. 

I can confirm that they are currently still taught by Anna Du Boisson, who is still head of WLSD, it is a really good school.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Great idea!  Is TPA still entry by audition for teens?  I was just wondering if that might be more pressure than mumofaladybird’s dd wants, although I don’t know how competitive TPA auditions are.  If it’s more like a fun class in order to place dancers in the correct level, that would probably be fine.

I think DCs have to audition from when they’re 9 (though this might have changed) but my personal feeling is that this is more for TPA to be able to assess which classes/grades would suit the young dancer rather than the way, for example, RBS associates audition. So if I were to guess, it’s definitely more of the latter of what you said above.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swanwings said:

I can confirm that they are currently still taught by Anna Du Boisson, who is still head of WLSD, it is a really good school.

That’s great. I remember Pre Senior being taught by Amber Doyle who’s also a brilliant teacher. They would sometimes combine the Senior and Pre-Senior classes too (as they’re on exactly the same time on Saturday mornings) so my DD has had the pleasure of being taught by both teachers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

That’s great. I remember Pre Senior being taught by Amber Doyle who’s also a brilliant teacher. They would sometimes combine the Senior and Pre-Senior classes too (as they’re on exactly the same time on Saturday mornings) so my DD has had the pleasure of being taught by both teachers. 

Yes, this is still the case sometimes.

These are all great thank you so much! I am definitely checking out TPA. It is not that she doesn't want the pressure - actually she prefers it in a way - but she is not advanced enough maybe for auditions for her age. She would love to attend competitions and be part of a group/school. So Pineapple isn't exactly what she would be after I feel. TPA sounds wonderful - seems we missed the auditions but I will enquire for sure. She found a school in south London , South London Dance Academy I think - but I didn't check it out enough yet although we are right at the opposite end of the city for it. 

• Like 1

Definitely worth emailing Tring about TPA.  I think Saturday classes are mostly held in the lovely, light and airy Park Studios.  

If your dd is happy to go to South London then definitely don’t rule out RAD HQ classes - they offer Creative/Contemporary as well as Jazz and a whole range of ballet classes.  It’s a few years ago now, but after finishing at Central Associates and before going to university, my dd did non-syllabus ballet and Advanced 2 classes at the old RAD HQ on Saturdays (as well as Tring CBA on Sundays 😂) and absolutely loved the atmosphere and her fellow students at RAD.  
(As a bonus, it also made her Advanced 2 exam a lot less nerve wracking as it was in her Saturday studio, so if your dd wants to carry on with her vocational exams, that might be worth considering).

• Like 1

I agree with @Anna C, if Tring isn’t too bad to get to from yours, definitely email them and don’t worry about the audition dates. They’re very quick to respond and will let you know if she can audition outside of published audition dates. No harm trying. And the new RAD HQ looks brilliant too if your DD is interested in doing syllabus ballet. Hopefully there are options that won’t entail too much travel for you. I always did wonder why people would be willing to travel for hours and hours for classes. I often think it’s time wasted away from home and family. But that’s my personal opinion as I hate time wasted on travelling. I already complain about taking the train to the city weekly and it’s actually only about 45 mins (and quite a pleasant journey at that) 😂

• Like 2

Another place to consider…. Vyne Academy in Berkhamstead in Hertfordshire. Easy to get to by car or on train from London. I believe they offer quite a comprehensive range of classes for teens on a Saturday so could perhaps do quite a full  programme with one day commitment. They have a special teen programme too so worth contacting about that too. Good luck!

https://vynearts.co.uk/timetables/

• Like 1

Pineapple have their own children’s classes which happen on a Saturday and Sunday. They also have PPAs which is a kids scheme and includes ballet, jazz, hip hop etc. The link leads you to their Summer course and then their Winter term https://www.pineapplearts.com/spring-term-2022

It may be easier to get to Pineapple if you are travelling from N London than Tring.

• Like 2