NYCB at the Kennedy Center, Washington

NYCB at the Kennedy Center in DC at yesterday’s matinee: I cannot imagine a more perfect mixed bill than what we witnessed at yesterday’s old-fashioned All-Classical program, especially the three Balanchines:

Square Dance (Vivaldi & Corelli) Megan Fairchild - gentle strength, not overdoing musical nuances a-la-Bouder  - and Joseph Gordon - perfect placement, as in a classical dictionary. 

Concerto Barocco (Bach) extraordinary debut by Mira Nadon, of magnificent musicality and Fonteyn face/hair/airs, my now-fave NYCB ballerina; Isabelle La Freniere with luscious lines; and Russell Janzen’s superb partnering of Ms Nadon in the 2nd movement.

Donizetti Variations - starring the leading whiz-bang leaping principal couple of the company, Tiler Peck and Roman Mejia. 

Robbins’ Afternoon of a Faun provided a gentle pause, deliciously rendered by Unity Phelan and, in double duty, Mr. Gordon.

Now wouldn’t this be a grand program for London? In place of the modern barrage.

• Like 12

47 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

NYCB at the Kennedy Center in DC at yesterday’s matinee: I cannot imagine a more perfect mixed bill than what we witnessed at yesterday’s old-fashioned All-Classical program, especially the three Balanchines:

Square Dance (Vivaldi & Corelli) Megan Fairchild - gentle strength, not overdoing musical nuances a-la-Bouder  - and Joseph Gordon - perfect placement, as in a classical dictionary. 

Concerto Barocco (Bach) extraordinary debut by Mira Nadon, of magnificent musicality and Fonteyn face/hair/airs, my now-fave NYCB ballerina; Isabelle La Freniere with luscious lines; and Russell Janzen’s superb partnering of Ms Nadon in the 2nd movement.

Donizetti Variations - starring the leading whiz-bang leaping principal couple of the company, Tiler Peck and Roman Mejia. 

Robbins’ Afternoon of a Faun provided a gentle pause, deliciously rendered by Unity Phelan and, in double duty, Mr. Gordon.

Now wouldn’t this be a grand program for London? In place of the modern barrage.

I would love the above programme, Jeannette! The number of dancers required for this Balanchine/Robbins programme is well within the numbers coming over (the proposed Kyle Abraham requires 16). The music is also no excuse - RB Sinfonia has played for many visiting companies at Sadler’s Wells eg SFB, and there are also plenty of other good ensembles, eg ENB Philharmonic, who are available if not playing for their own company. Plus London has so many incredible freelance musicians working at ROH or with numerous orchestras who could step in to make up the numbers if needed.  (Also, there are some odd, heavy costumes that two of the new ballets have which doesn’t make sense if cost and freight are concerns.)

I try to be supportive of new choreography but it will be like the umpteenth  Pam Tanowitz ballet in the last 12 months in London and I would prefer NYCB, home of Balanchine and Robbins, to bring, well, Balanchine and Robbins. Having them bring over only one Balanchine pdd is a bit like RB visiting NYC or Washington and bringing only Thais pas de deux with works by Tanowitz, Pite and Abraham-choreographers they can see any time, and no MacMillan or classics associated with RB. The proposed programme is going to bomb at the box office. I know Spalding and SWT are used to empty seats and poor sales for many shows they present but surely it makes more sense and is artistically more satisfying to bring a show with proven lovely pieces to dance that will be welcomed by audiences, and sell at least 80% of the house, not 40% or even less. 

Tiler Peck’s programming for her small scale tour to SWT was very good and though there wasn’t any Balanchine in it, I knew they were pieces that suited her and her performers, as well as the audience. (It was sold out for all the performances.) This programme is, well, pushing it.  The dancers will dance it very well, but there may not be that many people turning up to see it. That’s so dispiriting for the dancers who have come such a long way and the efforts of staff who have gone to so much trouble and expense to organise the tour.

I hope Jonathan Stafford will change his mind and discuss having a different programme with AS. There really isn’t as great an appetite (or wallets) for the new choreography (talented as the choreographers may be) as AS would wish there to be. Maybe 6 years ago there was. Today’s audiences are either cash strapped or time starved or both, as a result of the current economic and sociopolitical climate. There’s also nothing wrong with staging quality classics that are uplifting for audiences and performers. (After all, SWT is staging the musical 42nd Street and Matthew Bourne’s past successes!)

On a more positive note, glad to hear you managed to get to Washington for a live performance in person, Jeannette! Live-streams and recordings are good but it’s so wonderful to be able to be there to enjoy the performance on stage in front of you. 👍

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

I … a more positive note, glad to hear you managed to get to Washington for a live performance in person, Jeannette! Live-streams and recordings are good but it’s so wonderful to be able to be there to enjoy the performance on stage in front of you. 

Indeed, Emeralds! My husband & I are here for the first time since my retirement! Will also go to NYC for the ABT opening gala of LWFC…still hoping to see Aran Bell in the main dancing - true old-style DANCING! - as Juan the Rebel! I enjoy soft movements and miming but especially want, uh…old-style grand ballet dancing. 😉 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Absolutely. I’ve always wanted to see Concerto Barocco. I suppose our only option is going to NYC to see actual Balanchine.

Or you could always write to Carlos Acosta.  BRB performed Concerto Barocco from the company's SWRB both in the main house and as part of a couple of midscale tours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Thanks for your report Jeanette.  What a wonderful programme!

• Like 1

On 11/06/2023 at 15:34, Jan McNulty said:

Or you could always write to Carlos Acosta.  BRB performed Concerto Barocco from the company's SWRB both in the main house and as part of a couple of midscale tours.

You've reminded me, Janet, of a wonderful mixed bill I saw in Birmingham in 2004.  I've just searched out my programme - Concerto Barocco, Enigma Variations and Western Symphony - 2 Balanchines and an Ashton.  Who could ask for more!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

You've reminded me, Janet, of a wonderful mixed bill I saw in Birmingham in 2004.  I've just searched out my programme - Concerto Barocco, Enigma Variations and Western Symphony - 2 Balanchines and an Ashton.  Who could ask for more!

Wow - I'd forgotten about that one!!  How I wish we could see that programme again.  The company always looked so happy in Western Symphony!