The Dante Project, Paris Opera, April-May 2023

I consider myself lucky to be able to see the performance of "The Dante project" in Opera Garnier last Saturday, 27th of May.

Germain Louvet was Dante, Irek Mukhamedov - Virgile and there were a great many of wonderfully good dancers accompanying them. 

I liked music a lot, as well as scenography, light design (though a bit too dark sometimes to my taste), costumes and of course choreography. Unfortunately I was sitting in the side lounge close to the scene and though it was the first row, it was difficult to watch as the guests from the neighbour lounge were practically lying upon the rail. So better not to choose these places.

For me one of the greatest pleasures was to see Guillaume Diop (Paolo) and Bleunn Battistoni (Francesca) dancing, but there were several remarkable scenes - I liked La Foret des suicides a lot - the girls were stunning!  And of course " Les voleurs" (I believe, it means "robbers").

Germaine Louvet was superb through the whole performance and Irek Mukhamedov showed himself as a true teacher, with those precise movements, as if guiding his younger colleague.

The first act finished with the dance between Dante and Satan (Valentine Colasante) - though she resembled a snake more than the devil.

The second act, Purgatorio: Amour was a pure joy for the eyes and  heart with the dance of Dante and Beatrice (Hannah O'Neill), as well as the younger versions of two protagonists (Ines Briki as Beatrice girl and Bastien Galipaud as Dante boy and Bleunn Battistoni as young Beatrice and Loup Marcault-Derouard as young Dante).

And at last the third act, Paradise, was utmostly spectacular with all the planets and stars. I especially liked the part where two male dancers made a joint lift of two girls, who swirled around like one of  Jupiter's rings.

I don't have much chance to visit Paris Opera  and I was very impressed by the ability of its company to dance modern choreography, to my mind there are a lot of good dancers there and I'm looking forward to see some of them again the coming weekend in Copenhagen (by the way, the Queen of Denmark will be present at the last performance).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Estreiiita said:

I consider myself lucky to be able to see the performance of "The Dante project" in Opera Garnier last Saturday, 27th of May.

Germain Louvet was Dante, Irek Mukhamedov - Virgile and there were a great many of wonderfully good dancers accompanying them. 

I liked music a lot, as well as scenography, light design (though a bit too dark sometimes to my taste), costumes and of course choreography. Unfortunately I was sitting in the side lounge close to the scene and though it was the first row, it was difficult to watch as the guests from the neighbour lounge were practically lying upon the rail. So better not to choose these places.

For me one of the greatest pleasures was to see Guillaume Diop (Paolo) and Bleunn Battistoni (Francesca) dancing, but there were several remarkable scenes - I liked La Foret des suicides a lot - the girls were stunning!  And of course " Les voleurs" (I believe, it means "robbers").

Germaine Louvet was superb through the whole performance and Irek Mukhamedov showed himself as a true teacher, with those precise movements, as if guiding his younger colleague.

The first act finished with the dance between Dante and Satan (Valentine Colasante) - though she resembled a snake more than the devil.

The second act, Purgatorio: Amour was a pure joy for the eyes and  heart with the dance of Dante and Beatrice (Hannah O'Neill), as well as the younger versions of two protagonists (Ines Briki as Beatrice girl and Bastien Galipaud as Dante boy and Bleunn Battistoni as young Beatrice and Loup Marcault-Derouard as young Dante).

And at last the third act, Paradise, was utmostly spectacular with all the planets and stars. I especially liked the part where two male dancers made a joint lift of two girls, who swirled around like one of  Jupiter's rings.

I don't have much chance to visit Paris Opera  and I was very impressed by the ability of its company to dance modern choreography, to my mind there are a lot of good dancers there and I'm looking forward to see some of them again the coming weekend in Copenhagen (by the way, the Queen of Denmark will be present at the last performance).

Thanks @Estreiiita! Glad you enjoyed it and liked the dancing! I agree with you regarding the lighting-we had that here too, and I would have liked some  of the dark scenes to be more well lit. I also loved the dances for Beatrice and Dante in Act 2. It does sound very similar to how the Royal Ballet production looked. Do report back on the weekend performance in Copenhagen too! 

• Like 1