NYB's Dancers' Development Experience - a 5-day non-residential course in Birmingham

Claire_NYB

National Youth Ballet is delighted to announce a 5-day non-residential Dancers’ Development Experience in Elmhurst Ballet School, Birmingham, designed to support and nurture the talented young dancers of the future. The course will take place from Monday 14th August 2023 - Friday 18th August 2023, 10am-4pm daily.

Dancers will have the chance to work together as a company, to hone their technical skills, develop their artistry and cultivate their creativity. These young people will develop their skills as company dancers, whilst experiencing first-hand the process of creating a new ballet with a professional choreographer.  

There will be a focus on developing performance skills and all the work will be supported by NYB's Moving Minds,  designed to build confidence and resilience in young performers. The dancers will have the opportunity to take class with Louise Bennett (Performance Company Artistic Director) and Amelia O’Hara (Performance Company Associate Artistic Director), and will receive personal, written feedback at the end of the course from NYB Creative Director Jo Meredith. 

More information at https://nationalyouthballet.org/take-part/dancers-development-experience/dancers-development-experience-birmingham/

7 hours ago, Lottylou said:

I see this runs at the same time as the residential course.   Is it being run completely separately?  

I saw this too and thought it would feel quite odd especially for those who had tried for the main company and not successful. Worried it would feel a bit like a 'B team' experience... 

NYB have run a summer school at the same time as the performance company for a number of years so my reading is that this is the same course with a different name.  Yes it may seem strange but it sounds like a good opportunity to get involved with the NYB Team.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2023 at 19:27, Ballet_dancer2020 said:

I saw this too and thought it would feel quite odd especially for those who had tried for the main company and not successful. Worried it would feel a bit like a 'B team' experience... 

The Dancers' Development Experience is run at the same time, but is non-residential and participants are not required to audition to take part. It is a different course than the residential performance company, working with different practitioners, and with an emphasis on developing technical skills,  artistry and cultivating creativity. We hope that this course will enable more young dancers to become part of the NYB family by opening up this course to more young people.