English National Ballet: Cinderella in the Round casting, June 2023

Very sad to hear that. I noticed she had been away/off the stage for some time. After making debuts and performing to great acclaim in featured and lead roles such as Clara/Sugar Plum (I am now kicking myself for not booking one of her performances- my friend wanted to choose that year, and I should just have gone an extra time to see Rina and Jeffrey Cirio), Florine and Peasant Pas de deux. I saw the latter two performances  and she was incredible, like a young Alina Cojocaru, so precise and classical in her technique and musical in her interpretation. She wasn’t in anything more (I was disappointed she wasn’t cast as Aurora that previous season) after that and we assumed she had an injury but she was off for a long time, and then the pandemic happened as well.

In the 2021 period she was cast in a contemporary group piece for the Emerging Dancer livestream performance - the only winner not performing anything classical. But it was a relief to see her back. Subsequently we spotted her in the corps de ballet parts on and off, but never anything more prominent as befits her soloist rank and obvious talent- not even character/mime roles, or short featured parts (like Act 2 dances in Nutcracker, a sister or friend in Raymonda or th Act 3 dances in Swan Lake). I did keep a lookout for whether she might leave to get rehab, medical treatment or join another company for better roles, and her name remained on the roster, so there was still hope. But looks like the day I’d dreaded has arrived.

Hope all is well with Rina and she has new and exciting opportunities to look forward to. She was such a self-effacing and sweet artist who brought so much joy with her dancing. At her Emerging Dancer interview, she mentioned being immensely grateful and happy because it had always been her dream to be able to dance every day, and her contract as a corps artist meant she could live her dream. I hope that dream is still alive and well for her! 

• Like 4

That’s very very sad to hear, and I hope for her sake that it doesn’t have anything to do with her injury and that she’ll be dancing somewhere else.

I had the chance to see her in two Forsythe works - In the Middle, and Approximate Sonata. In the latter piece she was particularly excellent (a role she alternated with Alina!), such command and confidence, and brilliant intelligence in a role with lots of improvisation. Such a unique talent!

• Like 1

So, borrowing Bluebird's very helpful list of casting, I think we now have the following - can anyone check?

Cinderella in-the-round 15 – 25 June 2023, Royal Albert Hall Casting is subject to change

Thursday 15 June, 7.30pm Cinderella Emma Hawes Erina Takahashi Prince Guillaume Aitor Arrieta Francesco Gabriele Frola Stepmother Hortensia Sarah Kundi Stepsister Edwina Fernanda Oliveira Stepsister Clementine Katja Khaniukova Benjamin Ken Saruhashi Principal Guest Conductor Gavin Sutherland

Friday 16 June, 2pm Cinderella Precious Adams* Prince Guillaume Daniel McCormick* Stepmother Hortensia Isabelle Brouwers* Stepsister Edwina Emily Suzuki* Stepsister Clementine Jung ah Choi* Benjamin Victor Prigent Noam Durand* Guest Conductor Daniel Parkinson

Friday 16 June, 7.30pm Cinderella Erina Takahashi Prince Guillaume Francesco Gabriele Frola Stepmother Hortensia Angela Wood* Stepsister Edwina Emily Suzuki Stepsister Clementine Julia Conway Benjamin Rhys Antoni Yeomans* Principal Guest Conductor Gavin Sutherland

Saturday 17 June, 2pm Cinderella Shiori Kase Prince Guillaume Lorenzo Trossello* Stepmother Hortensia Eireen Evrard* Stepsister Edwina Natascha Mair* Stepsister Clementine Francesca Velicu* Benjamin Henry Dowden Guest Conductor Daniel Parkinson

Saturday 17 June, 7.30pm Cinderella Emma Hawes Precious Adams Prince Guillaume Aitor Arrieta Daniel McCormick Stepmother Hortensia Sarah Kundi Stepsister Edwina Fernanda Oliveira Stepsister Clementine Katja Khaniukova Benjamin Ken Saruhashi Principal Guest Conductor Gavin Sutherland Sunday

18 June, 2.30pm Cinderella Erina Takahashi Prince Guillaume Francesco Gabriele Frola Stepmother Hortensia Angela Wood Stepsister Edwina Emily Suzuki Stepsister Clementine Julia Conway Benjamin Rhys Antoni Yeomans Principal Guest Conductor Gavin Sutherland

Tuesday 20 June, 7.30pm Cinderella Shiori Kase Prince Guillaume Lorenzo Trossello Stepmother Hortensia Eireen Evrard Stepsister Edwina Natascha Mair Stepsister Clementine Francesca Velicu Benjamin Henry Dowden Guest Conductor Daniel Parkinson

Wednesday 21 June, 7.30pm Cinderella Erina Takahashi Prince Guillaume Francesco Gabriele Frola Stepmother Hortensia Angela Wood Stepsister Edwina Emily Suzuki Stepsister Clementine Julia Conway Benjamin Rhys Antoni Yeomans Guest Conductor Daniel Parkinson

Thursday 22 June, 7.30pm Cinderella Emma Hawes Ivana Bueno Prince Guillaume Aitor Arrieta Stepmother Hortensia Sarah Kundi Stepsister Edwina Fernanda Oliveira Stepsister Clementine Katja Khaniukova Benjamin Ken Saruhashi Principal Guest Conductor Gavin Sutherland Friday

23 June, 2pm Cinderella Precious Adams Prince Guillaume Daniel McCormick Stepmother Hortensia Isabelle Brouwers Stepsister Edwina Emily Suzuki Stepsister Clementine Jung ah Choi Benjamin Victor Prigent Guest Conductor Daniel Parkinson

Friday 23 June, 7.30pm Cinderella Erina Takahashi Prince Guillaume Francesco Gabriele Frola Stepmother Hortensia Angela Wood Stepsister Edwina Emily Suzuki Stepsister Clementine Julia Conway Benjamin Rhys Antoni Yeomans Principal Guest Conductor Gavin Sutherland

Saturday 24 June, 2pm Cinderella Shiori Kase Prince Guillaume Lorenzo Trossello Stepmother Hortensia Eireen Evrard Stepsister Edwina Natascha Mair Stepsister Clementine Francesca Velicu Benjamin Henry Dowden Guest Conductor Daniel Parkinson

Saturday 24 June, 7.30pm Cinderella Emma Hawes Ivana Bueno Prince Guillaume Aitor Arrieta Stepmother Hortensia Sarah Kundi Stepsister Edwina Fernanda Oliveira Stepsister Clementine Katja Khaniukova Benjamin Ken Saruhashi Principal Guest Conductor Gavin Sutherland

Sunday 25 June, 2.30pm Cinderella Precious Adams Prince Guillaume Daniel McCormick Stepmother Hortensia Isabelle Brouwers Stepsister Edwina Emily Suzuki Stepsister Clementine Jung ah Choi Benjamin Victor Prigent Principal Guest Conductor Gavin Sutherland

*Debut in role

Edited by alison
  • Thanks 2

On 15/06/2023 at 14:03, Dawnstar said:

@alison I'm afraid another cast change has been tweeted today.

Hope Victor is OK! He is currently still on the company cast list for his two remaining scheduled performances, so hopefully it is just something short lived. All the best to Noam for his debut! 

Edited by Emeralds

ENB announced that Sarah Kundi will be performing for the last time this weekend before moving on to a position at the Royal Ballet School. She’ll be sorely missed, a strong presence especially in character roles and the contemporary repertoire.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2