On 24/04/2023 at 00:13, Emeralds said:

Hope Nikolaj doesn’t modernise any more classics. I don’t mind the    reworking of Raymonda and La Bayadere that much, but the company used to have beautiful, iconic traditional productions of Napoli, La Sylphide, and A Folk Tale, and lovely productions of Giselle and Swan Lake, but his “modern” reboots are all a bit odd. Interesting for maybe one season or two, but then you feel like asking him, “Ok that was fun for a short while, but now can we have the real production back.” 

I heartedly agree with you, My thoughts exactly.

On 24/04/2023 at 00:13, Emeralds said:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

hi Emeralds,

I completely agree with yu about the ballets you mentioned. At least give audiences the chance to choose which of the Napolis,Sylphides, and Folk Tales they would like to see.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just read on "Dance for you" Magazine's instagram account that Nikolaj Hübbe will not extended his contract, after being 18 years the AD of Royal Danish Ballet. They look for a new AD to take over in summer 2026.

Source:

https://www.instagram.com/danceforyoumagazine?igsh=M2RiaGt1NzFnN2s5

Edited by Sabine0308
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for this news

I suggest a husband and wife team … Cojocaru/Kobborg.  He’s Danish and a former principal with AD experience , she’s danced there frequently as a guest and with Hamburg Ballet, who tour there again this month.  She’ll be 45 by then.  Though of course I’ve no idea if either are interested in such a role.

• Like 5

I understand Johan Kobborg was quoted  over 10 years ago as saying that he wasn't keen on applying for the artistic director post at RDB, but he may have changed his mind now, of course. He'd be a good candidate if he would like to do it. 

There could well be a lot of other good  candidates as the RDB system retains a lot of former principal dancers as character artists and coaches who get to know the administrative, mentoring and leadership aspects of the company well. Hope the next AD, whoever it turns out to be in 2026, will reinstate international tours/visits.  🙂

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

I read that it was Nicolaj's decision and if so, I'glad both for him and the audience. 

In my opinion the next ballet director could be Ulrik Birkkjær (former principal of RDB and San Francisco ballet and now one of the directors of the entreprise "Copenhagen dances" which brought to us the stars from Paris Opera, San Francisco ballet, Pina Bausch company and others.

Or maybe Sebastian Klobborg, who creates quite an interesting choreography and is a partner of Maria Kochetkova and has a history of having ballet directors in the family.

But I won't say "no" to Kenneth Greve or other current ballet directors from other companies. 

• Like 4

On 19/02/2024 at 19:29, Estreiiita said:

I hope you'll write about the performance as I'm going to see it on the 20th of March.

…and I never did, and hang my head in shame. All I’ll say is: Serenade and Etudes were both triumphs. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MAB said:

I would like someone respectful of the Bournonville heritage.

I thorougly agree with you.    Can you imagine if some director of the RB were to

"revisit-rethink-revise" Ashton classics?    

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, joe blitz said:

I thorougly agree with you.    Can you imagine if some director of the RB were to

"revisit-rethink-revise" Ashton classics?    

🤣I’d like Arthur Pita to have a go at/with Two Pigeons 😉😉😉

• Like 1