Post 16 Trinity Diploma in Dance

Hayjon

On 05/02/2023 at 14:29, Dancing unicorn said:

Dd was at ks 4 yrs (extra yr cos of covid!) loved the school, loved the dance, loved the staff, loved the teachers and loved the boarding! Think there’s just one house with 2 bedrooms that is run by an older couple, this is mostly for younger first yrs! Dd was there 2 yrs and loved it. 3rd yr she was with 2 first yrs, one of whom she’s still friendly with even tho dd has left there 🤣 All in walking distance so saved on travel expenses. 4th yr dd was further away as technically she had left, but even this was only a short bus ride away.

KS was the one that she felt most at home auditioning at. 

Our DD absolutely thrived at KS, would highly recommend over any other college!

Some of my DS friends weren't in walking distance - definite bus ride so may have to factor additional expense in if commuting from central Warrington. 

On 27/01/2023 at 08:17, DreamChaser said:

Hi, yes I completely relate to this my DD is applying for both Diploma and degree courses and will turn 16 end of August.  She is ready, probably more so that her older brother who will be leaving for uni too - Terrible timing financially and like you, we just miss the DADA funding :(

Offers so far from KS Dance (hoping for a bursary)  and Tring (not in her top 3).  We were at RCS last weekend and Rambert and Central this weekend for 1st auditions.  I’m exhausted, it’s like having an 2nd job, and still a long road ahead!

Good luck, nice to have a thread for those of us on this road :)

We had the same situation last year with one leaving for dance school, one for Uni and just missing the DaDa cut off… it sucks! We had offers from 5 schools, including scholarships from 3….. and then he went somewhere else 😭 BUT, it was absolutely the best fit school for him, and when you consider that to do the degree courses you’re accessing student loans, which still require repayment one day, it doesn’t work out THAT differently overall. We were lucky to have a relative who has given him a private student loan type agreement, which means he’s incredibly driven as he’s constantly aware that he’s paying for it so is determined to squeeze every last bit out of the experience 😂 The benefit to doing the diploma (which it took me a while to realise) is that if he needs to do a career change at a later date he can still access student loans to do a degree, which is a comfort in terms of making sure there’s always a plan b. 

KS had extra funding pots for non-DaDa folks, and LSC were good for scholarship based on who they wanted (rather than income linked) so they might be worth considering too. Tring also have quite generous bursary levels. 

Also worth considering cost of living comparison too… some of the London halls are VERY expensive and then require travel time and funds, which really adds up. Plus little things like in halls is about £4 to do a laundry load, and they need to do a lot! My DS is in a flat with other dancers and they share a wash for their dance kit midweek, which really helps. They are also 2 mins walk from the studio, which they are enormously grateful for. 

Good luck!! It’s a slog and stressful but also SO exciting!! 

Xx 

Edited by mum5678
To add more info!

On 27/01/2023 at 11:37, Dancing unicorn said:

I always say, go have a look at one of their performances and see the variety of the stuff they do! They gave a performance coming up on 14th Feb 💗

Absolutely do this!! We only realised how valuable it was once we went on a show tour after making the choice! 🙄 Thankfully we were very happy with the choice but could have been very different if he’d gone to where he ‘thought’ was his first choice before we went through the process…. Changed mind about favourite mid way through! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mum5678 said:

The benefit to doing the diploma (which it took me a while to realise) is that if he needs to do a career change at a later date he can still access student loans to do a degree, which is a comfort in terms of making sure there’s always a plan b. 

I would urge caution with the assumption that because you haven’t used student finance for a diploma that you’ll be entitled to it for a degree.

We have been told by our local authority that student loans are based on the level of qualification that you already hold and that having a Level 6 qualification could prevent you getting finance for a second Level 6 qualification. A Trinity Diploma is a Level 6 qualification (even though it isn’t a full degree) and that is the same level as a Batchelor’s Degree. There does seem to be some flexibility with second degrees for Allied Health Professional courses however.

It may differ depending on where in the U.K. you are accessing your funding but that is what I was told when I spoke to Student Finance in my area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Justkeepsmiling said:

I would urge caution with the assumption that because you haven’t used student finance for a diploma that you’ll be entitled to it for a degree.

We have been told by our local authority that student loans are based on the level of qualification that you already hold and that having a Level 6 qualification could prevent you getting finance for a second Level 6 qualification. A Trinity Diploma is a Level 6 qualification (even though it isn’t a full degree) and that is the same level as a Batchelor’s Degree. There does seem to be some flexibility with second degrees for Allied Health Professional courses however.

It may differ depending on where in the U.K. you are accessing your funding but that is what I was told when I spoke to Student Finance in my area.

Ahh, that’s good to know… we were told the opposite so like you say, it sounds like it might depend on location! 😬 Damn… that’s my safety blanket ruined! 😂

45 minutes ago, mum5678 said:
4 hours ago, Justkeepsmiling said:

Ahh, that’s good to know… we were told the opposite so like you say, it sounds like it might depend on location! 😬 Damn… that’s my safety blanket ruined! 😂

The gov.uk website explains it better and there are other degrees that you can get finance for if you’re in England - not just health professional degrees.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hayjon said:

Just a quick update... My daughter has had 2 offers so is really happy.... We have another audition at the end of March, and maybe another but we don't have a date yet. 

Congratulations to your DD. The inner confidence grows when the offers start coming in as well as it’s always good to be in a position to have a choice in your final decision making. 🍀😊

• 1 month later...
On 05/02/2023 at 09:51, Pointe21 said:

We are going through this whole journey too with my 16 year old. Offers from KS and Italia Conti, awaiting results from other auditions. I do find it difficult to find information on accommodation for 16 year olds. Anyone have any info for either KS or IC, Woking? 

Guilden Village in Guildford were  happy to take 16 year olds and have a whole block of only Conti students. My daughter was only 16 and I felt happy she was safe and had adults on site. She shared a flat with her course so many 16 year olds. They get a free bus pass included to get to Woking. The premises have a dance studio for their use. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 28/03/2023 at 20:48, Dramaofadancingdiva said:

Guilden Village in Guildford were  happy to take 16 year olds and have a whole block of only Conti students. My daughter was only 16 and I felt happy she was safe and had adults on site. She shared a flat with her course so many 16 year olds. They get a free bus pass included to get to Woking. The premises have a dance studio for their use. 

Can I ask or could you message me how much roughly living is here? My Dd is just along final decisions! Thankyou 

On 15/02/2023 at 16:20, mum5678 said:

How about topping up your diploma to a full degree? We were told that was an option at ENBS - a further 18 months study - I wonder if you can get a student loan in that scenario? 
If you pay the fees because you never qualified for a DADA does that mean you are still able to access a student loan later ? We are in the same situation as a couple of you - we don’t qualify for DADA and have a son starting his degree around the same time. It’s a bit of a nightmare because we work as freelancers and it’s incredibly hard to plan ! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/05/2023 at 14:30, Holly said:

Can I ask or could you message me how much roughly living is here? My Dd is just along final decisions! Thankyou 

I’m sorry I’ve just seen this, we were cheaper this year because we booked early, I’m not sure what the prices are at the moment but I’d imagine about £199 per week. Bills are included along with a bus pass, so the only other costs are food, approx £30 per week, and living. The halls have lots of events and there is not much time for partying outside their timetable. There is a gym, a cinema, roof top terrace and a dance studio, it is quite smart as halls go! Message me if you want any other info, I’m happy to talk about her experience. 

• 8 months later...
On 27/06/2023 at 21:49, Dramaofadancingdiva said:

I’m sorry I’ve just seen this, we were cheaper this year because we booked early, I’m not sure what the prices are at the moment but I’d imagine about £199 per week. Bills are included along with a bus pass, so the only other costs are food, approx £30 per week, and living. The halls have lots of events and there is not much time for partying outside their timetable. There is a gym, a cinema, roof top terrace and a dance studio, it is quite smart as halls go! Message me if you want any other info, I’m happy to talk about her experience. 

Hi, my daughter has just accepted a place at Conti for September and has booked a room in Guilden village. Do you know if any of the students work a few hours around the courses? Also we have a room where the kitchen is shared by 10…. Is this same for your daughter and if so do they tend to put you with other IC students? Thanks ☺️