Post 16 Trinity Diploma in Dance

Hayjon

Hi, is anyone's DC currently going through this process. 

We have been to open days now and my DD has her first audition in Sunday. 

She is nervous as am I😁

We've been to open days at SLP, Performers, The Hammond, Stella Mann and KS DANCE. 

We didn't choose any of the London Colleges due to the expenses or accomodation etc and the fact that we are unlikely to get a Dada. 

It's a very nerve racking process and I hope she gets a place on a course. 

Anyone else is this process? Most on the forum tend to be degree students.. And very few 16 year olds. 

Thankyou, and to your DC too. 

She's 15 too, 16 in July. 

She's more of a dancer, so a singing solo is definitely new for her. So she's especially nervous for that. 

I can't imagine her living alone at just turned 16....shes can't wait tho😁

1 hour ago, Hayjon said:

She is nervous as am I😁

We've been to open days at SLP, Performers, The Hammond, Stella Mann and KS DANCE. 

We didn't choose any of the London Colleges due to the expenses or accomodation etc and the fact that we are unlikely to get a Dada. 

Anyone else is this process? Most on the forum tend to be degree students.. And very few 16 year olds. 

Hi,  I can understand and appreciate how you feel. My eldest went to Stella Mann on the diploma course, albeit a few yrs ago at 18. My youngest DD went to NBS also on the diploma course at 16 (also July). So I’ve experienced both ages leaving home. From that experience alone I’ve learnt not to overthink the age thing as some 16yr olds are more mature than many 18yr olds when living away from home for the first time 😉

The majority of first yrs at Stella Mann were 18yrs + at the time. Obviously I can’t comment on the schools current cohort. However, I can add that Bedford was a very budget friendly place for a student to shop for food and everyday essentials etc. The downside is that accommodation (old mainly terraced houses) is in the private rental market and the standard was sometimes questionable. We all know about rent increases and the costs of utility bills etc recently. Many of these old houses cost a lot to keep warm but then my DD’s accommodation over the 3yrs were always within a 20min walk of the school.  So that’s a plus as there was no need for daily public transport. Plus and minus all to take into consideration. 
Whilst focusing on the audition itself is vitally important, please take time (if you haven’t already) to research in great detail the accommodation for all of the schools and colleges your DD is interested in. 

Some of the schools/colleges may have access to Halls type accommodation for their students like those for uni students. This type of accommodation offers a ‘safety net’ (as I call it) for the younger tenants. Rent incl utility bills, 24/7 security & maintenance etc. And generally in better state of repair and decoration. 

Happy to answer any more questions you may have. 

Wishing your DD all the best 🤞🏼

Edited by balletbean

Hi, yes I completely relate to this my DD is applying for both Diploma and degree courses and will turn 16 end of August.  She is ready, probably more so that her older brother who will be leaving for uni too - Terrible timing financially and like you, we just miss the DADA funding :(

Offers so far from KS Dance (hoping for a bursary)  and Tring (not in her top 3).  We were at RCS last weekend and Rambert and Central this weekend for 1st auditions.  I’m exhausted, it’s like having an 2nd job, and still a long road ahead!

Good luck, nice to have a thread for those of us on this road :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Dd did Diploma at KS Dance and loved it so if you need any info  let me know 💗

She did the open day, but was unsure if it was the right fit for her, we enjoyed it and I thought the pastoral care etc was probably better than most others. We thought it was a great place just wasn't sure if a little ballet heavy for her. So I would be interested to hear your thoughts. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, balletbean said:

Hi,  I can understand and appreciate how you feel. My eldest went to Stella Mann on the diploma course, albeit a few yrs ago at 18. My youngest DD went to NBS also on the diploma course at 16 (also July). So I’ve experienced both ages leaving home. From that experience alone I’ve learnt not to overthink the age thing as some 16yr olds are more mature than many 18yr olds when living away from home for the first time 😉

The majority of first yrs at Stella Mann were 18yrs + at the time. Obviously I can’t comment on the schools current cohort. However, I can add that Bedford was a very budget friendly place for a student to shop for food and everyday essentials etc. The downside is that accommodation (old mainly terraced houses) is in the private rental market and the standard was sometimes questionable. We all know about rent increases and the costs of utility bills etc recently. Many of these old houses cost a lot to keep warm but then my DD’s accommodation over the 3yrs were always within a 20min walk of the school.  So that’s a plus as there was no need for daily public transport. Plus and minus all to take into consideration. 
Whilst focusing on the audition itself is vitally important, please take time (if you haven’t already) to research in great detail the accommodation for all of the schools and colleges your DD is interested in. 

Some of the schools/colleges may have access to Halls type accommodation for their students like those for uni students. This type of accommodation offers a ‘safety net’ (as I call it) for the younger tenants. Rent incl utility bills, 24/7 security & maintenance etc. And generally in better state of repair and decoration. 

Happy to answer any more questions you may have. 

Wishing your DD all the best 🤞🏼

Stella Mann is in her top 2 I think, but when she went for her taster there was only her and one other who would be 16. So I'd be interested to knowhow that works and if they feel different or are treated differently? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BalletBelle said:

I totally agree @DreamChaser, I didn't appreciate how exhausting it would be for parents!

It's not just all the travelling and form-filling; my head is spinning with all the information, pros and cons of different places etc too 🤯

So exhausting.... We travelled 1000 miles in 6 days at one point 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DreamChaser said:

Hi, yes I completely relate to this my DD is applying for both Diploma and degree courses and will turn 16 end of August.  She is ready, probably more so that her older brother who will be leaving for uni too - Terrible timing financially and like you, we just miss the DADA funding :(

Offers so far from KS Dance (hoping for a bursary)  and Tring (not in her top 3).  We were at RCS last weekend and Rambert and Central this weekend for 1st auditions.  I’m exhausted, it’s like having an 2nd job, and still a long road ahead!

Good luck, nice to have a thread for those of us on this road :)

So nice to have some diploma people as so many on here are degrees. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hayjon said:

She did the open day, but was unsure if it was the right fit for her, we enjoyed it and I thought the pastoral care etc was probably better than most others. We thought it was a great place just wasn't sure if a little ballet heavy for her. So I would be interested to hear your thoughts. 

I always say, go have a look at one of their performances and see the variety of the stuff they do! They gave a performance coming up on 14th Feb 💗

My DD is 16 and auditioning this year. So far she's been to The Hammond and Northern Ballet School. Coming up in February are SLP and Laine. Laine is the only one 'down south' we are considering. All our heads are spinning with information, and the admin - oh my!! I am definitely DD's PA. She likes to call me her Manager, but it's much less glamorous than that 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Streetdancer said:

My DD is 16 and auditioning this year. So far she's been to The Hammond and Northern Ballet School. Coming up in February are SLP and Laine. Laine is the only one 'down south' we are considering. All our heads are spinning with information, and the admin - oh my!! I am definitely DD's PA. She likes to call me her Manager, but it's much less glamorous than that 😂

I know the feeling😂we have an audition on Sunday at SLP... So scary😁

10 hours ago, Hayjon said:

Stella Mann is in her top 2 I think, but when she went for her taster there was only her and one other who would be 16. So I'd be interested to knowhow that works and if they feel different or are treated differently? 

Hi. For some unknown reason my first attempt to respond has disappeared into cyber space. So here goes….. 

All pupils are treated equally as they’ve all been accepted into first year based their skills & abilities. The expectations within the studio are the same. Whether they have just turned 16 or they are nearly 19 if not older. The only slight difference I have noticed along with others that I’ve spoken to at other well known MT colleges is that the 16yr old boys are not expected to lift the girls in partner work certainly in their first year. So they are treated slightly differently. They are encouraged to do more weight training or similar to develop stronger upper body muscles.  Which all makes sense. 

Academically- those pupils that have secured higher grades in one or more of the Humanity subjects at GCSE’s or A levels if that’s appropriate tend to fair better when it comes to the essay writing modules of the syllabus for the Diploma. Those who have a keen eye for detail, presentation and being well organised within the academic work also tend to fair better overall. Unlike school the teaching staff are not there to remind their pupils to submit work. Most colleges do not have dedicated diploma academic teachers but rather the dancing teachers take on the role. It’s not hard to let things slide when the days are long and they are tired and when there’s food to prep/laundry to do etc but it is imperative that time is given on a regular basis within their schedule from the outset to ensure the written work is kept up to date. If you have any further questions regarding this please drop me a private message. Happy to help were I can. 

The difference in the ages really only becomes apparent within their social life and all that that entails. 😉 

11 hours ago, BalletBelle said:

I totally agree @DreamChaser, I didn't appreciate how exhausting it would be for parents!

It's not just all the travelling and form-filling; my head is spinning with all the information, pros and cons of different places etc too 🤯

I remember those days, sleepless nights, spread sheets and charts but fundamentally what it all boiled down to was the good old gut instinct you get to actually walk into the school or college. Whether it’s for an open day or only on the actual day of the audition. You will just know. Not all schools/colleges will suit all dancers even when they are offered a place. 
From my experience don’t verbalise those ‘gut instincts’ to your DC. Wait to hear from them as you maybe pleasantly surprised of how much you are both thinking alike without saying out loud or maybe select your questions very carefully on things you might have noticed or experienced that they might not have on the day to have that open and honest discussion. After all it won’t be us spending the next 3yrs of our life at the school or college. 😊

• Like 3

On 26/01/2023 at 22:49, Hayjon said:

She is nervous as am I😁

We have just gone through this process (DD's auditions were Nov - Jan), and yes - definitely nerve wracking! 

I'm happy to shed any light on the auditions for The Hammond and KS Dance if you want to DM me. My DD auditioned at four institutions and received four offers, so we're very proud indeed! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, balletbean said:

Hi. For some unknown reason my first attempt to respond has disappeared into cyber space. So here goes….. 

All pupils are treated equally as they’ve all been accepted into first year based their skills & abilities. The expectations within the studio are the same. Whether they have just turned 16 or they are nearly 19 if not older. The only slight difference I have noticed along with others that I’ve spoken to at other well known MT colleges is that the 16yr old boys are not expected to lift the girls in partner work certainly in their first year. So they are treated slightly differently. They are encouraged to do more weight training or similar to develop stronger upper body muscles.  Which all makes sense. 

Academically- those pupils that have secured higher grades in one or more of the Humanity subjects at GCSE’s or A levels if that’s appropriate tend to fair better when it comes to the essay writing modules of the syllabus for the Diploma. Those who have a keen eye for detail, presentation and being well organised within the academic work also tend to fair better overall. Unlike school the teaching staff are not there to remind their pupils to submit work. Most colleges do not have dedicated diploma academic teachers but rather the dancing teachers take on the role. It’s not hard to let things slide when the days are long and they are tired and when there’s food to prep/laundry to do etc but it is imperative that time is given on a regular basis within their schedule from the outset to ensure the written work is kept up to date. If you have any further questions regarding this please drop me a private message. Happy to help were I can. 

The difference in the ages really only becomes apparent within their social life and all that that entails. 😉 

Thankyou for that, her audition is in a couple of weeks there so I guess it will give her more insight. 

So. Stressful.... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, balletbean said:

I remember those days, sleepless nights, spread sheets and charts but fundamentally what it all boiled down to was the good old gut instinct you get to actually walk into the school or college. Whether it’s for an open day or only on the actual day of the audition. You will just know. Not all schools/colleges will suit all dancers even when they are offered a place. 
From my experience don’t verbalise those ‘gut instincts’ to your DC. Wait to hear from them as you maybe pleasantly surprised of how much you are both thinking alike without saying out loud or maybe select your questions very carefully on things you might have noticed or experienced that they might not have on the day to have that open and honest discussion. After all it won’t be us spending the next 3yrs of our life at the school or college. 😊

Thankyou, yes we will leave the decision to her depending if or how many offers she gets and see what she feel works for her.. Its so tough.... 

1 hour ago, Contretemps said:

We have just gone through this process (DD's auditions were Nov - Jan), and yes - definitely nerve wracking! 

I'm happy to shed any light on the auditions for The Hammond and KS Dance if you want to DM me. My DD auditioned at four institutions and received four offers, so we're very proud indeed! 

Four offers is amazing. Well done.. A big decision to be made for her then x

I feel sick for tomorrow 😁

• Like 1

Hi, my DD is also just turning 16 and currently going through the same process. She has offers from KS and Morea performing arts and waiting for results from a couple of bigger Colleges. From her experience of the auditions she is really favouring the smaller colleges as she feels they are more homely and family friendly. Good luck fro your DD for her auditions.

• Like 1

We had our 5th audition yesterday at Rambert and 6th at Central tomorrow. Offers from 3 and waiting for recall decisions for this batch.  My spreadsheet makes my daughter laugh and yes she often calls me her manager 😂

In terms of auditions I try to keep as cool as possible, no last minute cramming to be done they either think your dancer is right for them or they don’t, they just need to be relaxed and do the best they can on the day. And it certainly is a two-way street, schools my DD thought would be in her top 3 have for one reason or another been relegated, I’m proud of the way she is weighing up what is right for her in terms of training, career, environment etc.  Now she has offers and 1 she would happily accept its daunting to realise she will be leaving in a few months!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Hayjon said:

Four offers is amazing. Well done.. A big decision to be made for her then x

I feel sick for tomorrow 😁

Thank you :) I think it did help that her first choice offer was made very early as that was the first audition, so definitely less nerves for the other auditions. But that did mean her nerves were horrendous for the first choice place, as she'd had no practice runs!

It is so hard for us parents - not that it's not scary for the dancers of course - but you do end up sitting around all day feeling sick and hoping that they are ok! There's nothing you can do to impact on the outcome, so you're just left waiting. 

45 minutes ago, Joanne1 said:

Hi, my DD is also just turning 16 and currently going through the same process. She has offers from KS and Morea performing arts and waiting for results from a couple of bigger Colleges. From her experience of the auditions she is really favouring the smaller colleges as she feels they are more homely and family friendly. Good luck fro your DD for her auditions.

Thankyou... And good luck.. I think my daughter will prefer the smaller ones too. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DreamChaser said:

We had our 5th audition yesterday at Rambert and 6th at Central tomorrow. Offers from 3 and waiting for recall decisions for this batch.  My spreadsheet makes my daughter laugh and yes she often calls me her manager 😂

In terms of auditions I try to keep as cool as possible, no last minute cramming to be done they either think your dancer is right for them or they don’t, they just need to be relaxed and do the best they can on the day. And it certainly is a two-way street, schools my DD thought would be in her top 3 have for one reason or another been relegated, I’m proud of the way she is weighing up what is right for her in terms of training, career, environment etc.  Now she has offers and 1 she would happily accept its daunting to realise she will be leaving in a few months!

Sounds like it is going very well. I know I cannot imagine her living away so young, she is really looking forward to it... Although let's hope she can learn how to turn on a washing machine 😁

I'm trying to be cool and not show her my nerves and at the end of the day all she can do is her best.. 

• Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 11:19, Hayjon said:

I would always advise you to look at the current graduates destinations. Are they in employment or on post graduate courses. Each student's experience of pastoral care is evidently very different. Gut feelings are usually right 

• Like 2

We are going through this whole journey too with my 16 year old. Offers from KS and Italia Conti, awaiting results from other auditions. I do find it difficult to find information on accommodation for 16 year olds. Anyone have any info for either KS or IC, Woking? 

Edited by Pointe21

Hi, KS Dance is shared private rentals within walking/bus ride.  My understanding from chatting to the team at the open day is that they work with a few trusted landlords and letting agents.  As rooms become free they try to ensure the 1st years are placed in houses with 2nd and 3rd years, seems to work well.

Whilst my DD was auditioning I had a good walk around the residential areas, all look good, about what I would expect for student areas.  Warrington itself was much nicer than I’d expected!

I’m sure they’re are a few parents of current KS Dance students in the forum who can offer more detail 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dd was at ks 4 yrs (extra yr cos of covid!) loved the school, loved the dance, loved the staff, loved the teachers and loved the boarding! Think there’s just one house with 2 bedrooms that is run by an older couple, this is mostly for younger first yrs! Dd was there 2 yrs and loved it. 3rd yr she was with 2 first yrs, one of whom she’s still friendly with even tho dd has left there 🤣 All in walking distance so saved on travel expenses. 4th yr dd was further away as technically she had left, but even this was only a short bus ride away.

KS was the one that she felt most at home auditioning at. 

Our DD absolutely thrived at KS, would highly recommend over any other college!

• Thanks 1