Open Barre Podcast with Sabine Naghdi

Sim

I have just listened to this podcast, released today.  I am not the parent of a dancer or dance student, but I found it (and Sabine Naghdi's book, Tears of a Ballet Mum) fascinating.  Anyone whose child is serious about undertaking a professional dancing career should have a listen, and read the book.  It is also really interesting for the rest of us to hear/read about all the trials, tribulations and sacrifices that need to happen in order for a dancer to succeed at the highest level.  We just get to see the beautiful results onstage, but there is much that isn't so beautiful.  But then, there are all the joys and moments of elation.  Mrs Naghdi explores all of these. The tears of the title are tears of joy, of anger, of frustration...all part of the whole.

The podcast is fun and very honest, with Brandon Lawrence giving his perspectives on the subject as well, and Julia asking the questions.  If you can't get it on this link, the podcast is available on the other usual platforms (Spreaker, Apple, etc).  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Dragging up this older thread @Sim because I purposely held off listening to this episode until I could read the book

and the friend

who'd promised to lend

only gave it to me yesterday 😉

The book suffers badly from either a complete lack of copy editing or an incompetent copy editor. Which for a nitpicker like me made it a difficult read.

And what art historian doesn't know that Degas' first name was Edgar not Edward?

Nitpicks aside the book was very interesting, and I would also recommend it to anyone with a child considering vocational education and training - in any field.

Can now listen to the episode on Christmas Eve.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

Dragging up this older thread @Sim because I purposely held off listening to this episode until I could read the book

and the friend

who'd promised to lend

only gave it to me yesterday 😉

The book suffers badly from either a complete lack of copy editing or an incompetent copy editor. Which for a nitpicker like me made it a difficult read.

And what art historian doesn't know that Degas' first name was Edgar not Edward?

Nitpicks aside the book was very interesting, and I would also recommend it to anyone with a child considering vocational education and training - in any field.

Can now listen to the episode on Christmas Eve.

The book was full of mistakes and terrible editing/proofreading.  This has now been corrected and further prints of the book will be of a much higher standard.  

• Like 3

Well at least @Rob Syou're not the person whose pics have been wrongly credited 😳

Seriously though with the factual errors, the typos, and the mis-credits - who imposed the publication deadline and why didn't they push it back a couple of months?

I once risked being in breach of contract and pushed back on a deadline; I was not going to allow my name (de plume) to appear on something that hadn't been properly copy-edited, when the proofs actually introduced typos that were not in the original accepted manuscript! Also some idiot at the publisher mixed up all the illustrations and their captions so nothing made sense and they just said "oh we'll fix it for the second print run" which would have included the mis-spelling of the name of the wonderful illustrator I had been lucky enough to find!!

I was very glad I had been so intransigent as of course it did not go to a second print run, and, narrative holes and all, it's as it was intended.

Admittedly mine was fiction and this isn't but my goodness...