Audition class levels upper school

Dancingpotato

From the feedback I had when speaking to my DD and summarising her audition experiences, she found Central the easiest of auditions when it came to technicality of the class and step combinations. 
International students do stand out and many of the mentioned schools do travel for auditions to Japan, Italy and similar. So I would push for building up to Level II

Most of them are told something like when they say do 2 pirouettes, on audition do 3 comfortably. At least this what her overseas teacher always told her.

When she went for ENB, the Director at that time liked and was looking at performance skills. So she had to pay more attention of face and ‘performing’ the class routine like she would be on stage. She did research of artistic directors and what they particularly liked.

Tring she found the least ballet focused and her solo was “popping and locking” improvisation. They seems to like the originality.

Elmhurst Director at that time said he liked “bendy” dancers.

Sometimes I wished I would have boy and not girl in ballet. They are not so many and have it "easier" in my opinion. With boys - European boys can jump and have stamina so something to work on here.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2022 at 14:43, FlexyNexy said:

From the feedback I had when speaking to my DD and summarising her audition experiences, she found Central the easiest of auditions when it came to technicality of the class and step combinations. 
International students do stand out and many of the mentioned schools do travel for auditions to Japan, Italy and similar. So I would push for building up to Level II

Most of them are told something like when they say do 2 pirouettes, on audition do 3 comfortably. At least this what her overseas teacher always told her.

When she went for ENB, the Director at that time liked and was looking at performance skills. So she had to pay more attention of face and ‘performing’ the class routine like she would be on stage. She did research of artistic directors and what they particularly liked.

Tring she found the least ballet focused and her solo was “popping and locking” improvisation. They seems to like the originality.

Elmhurst Director at that time said he liked “bendy” dancers.

Sometimes I wished I would have boy and not girl in ballet. They are not so many and have it "easier" in my opinion. With boys - European boys can jump and have stamina so something to work on here.

This is so interesting. Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent many years prepping dancers for these auditions - all prelims are on the simpler side but the expectations technically and artistically will be very high.

The finals can be a big step up and yes the international students stand out so our uk students must be pushed to be at the same level to stand a chance!

European schools want the entirety of class on pointe for example which is a good couple of yrs ahead of training currently here - so my motto is to push and prep well beyond what might be needed so they are prepared for anything that's asked of them. And especially important to be able to negotiate their technique when having an off day!

It's often dependant on who is teaching as to the complexity of class and this can change each year.

Hope that helps a little....

• Like 3

ENBS - highest technical standard, and performance 

Elmhurst - Facility (flexibility) especially important along with advanced technique and expression

Royal Scottish Conservatoire - Solid technique and secure point work.

RBS - save your money

• Like 4