Elmhurst upper school auditions

dancelover

Hi all,

I've got my elmhurst upper school audition coming up, and I just wondered if anyone could answer a few of my questions as I am not knowing what to expect. Could anyone with experience tell me about the class content of the audition, what should I expect, and also what standard is the audition set around? Also, is it advisable to stop over night before the audition as we have just over a 2 hour journey?

• Like 1

Dont worry the standard wont be too high. The teachers want to see your potential. They wont be expecting you to be doing triple pirouettes or anything like that. They may ask for some basic pointe work. My dd had to do corrus accross the studio on her prelim audition. Relax and enjoy the day. If you can sleep in a good hotel then that would be a better option rather than travelling all that way. Traffic to Bham can also be challenging so that would have to be added into your travelling time. Good luck to all the students auditioning.

• Like 1

We have always travelled for auditons at Elmhurst (two hour journey) and always made it with plenty of time to spare. For her final auditon for 6th form we decided that we would stay in a hotel 10mins away. On the day of the audition traffic was horrendous and I had to get out of the car my husband was driving and run about a mile with my daughter to get to the school. She literaly had time to throw off her coat and over cloths to joing the other candidates who werel lining up to go into the studio, it was an awful day she didn't even have time to go to the loo.

Gosh we were at Elmhurst on Friday and I was sooo impressed! The principal was incredibly eloquent and had her feet firmly on the ground (academics and health as important as dance)-and not being terribly knowlegeable in ballet I couldn't believe how young Robert Parker was. So great to experience this modern way of thinking. Parents were made to feel very welcome, the tour of the school was great and dd thoroughly enjoyed audition -although a little squashed and slightly more trickier dance than RBS apparently-but nothing too extreme so don't panic if you haven't yet auditioned! Dd so enamoured that the has almost done a U-turn and is considering ballet at 16 over MT at 18. Still....having said all that, got to get through audition process first!

Good luck everyone x

• Like 2