Royal Ballet in Cuba documentary

On 12/04/2022 at 00:21, alison said:

I've just caught up with The Royal Ballet in Cuba for the first time in a very long while: great to see it again, and all the (incredibly young-looking!) dancers, including some now much missed.  Ironic, in the current times, to hear of dancers being put into quarantine because of H1N1 :(

On 12/04/2022 at 00:21, alison said:

Ironic, in the current times, to hear of dancers being put into quarantine because of H1N1 :(

Yes I watched too and had the same thoughts.  Also sympathy for RB management having to make decisions whilst waiting a long time (3 days) for confirmed results.  And then I was depressed by all the company having to take Tamiflu as a precaution …  because that drug has since been deemed ineffective and to have adverse side effects.  Sigh.  Nothing much has changed. 

Edited by alison
To add full quote for context.

• 3 months later...

Currently available to watch from Sky Arts on their catch up/downloads - not sure when it was originally screened but is just delightful to watch so many favourites at such a young age!! 

Filmed/narrated by Trevitt/Nunn.

Really well worth a watch - was during swine flu epidemic which enabled me to place it to 2009, but the bits and pieces covered around that (dancers isolating and climbing the walls until they were moved to one location) was interesting to reflect on post covid!

Lovely to see KOH in the days he was working up to his current role.

Makes you realise how sad it is that so many of these incredible dancers have now retired but how lucky we are to have seen them dance.

Very special for Carlos Acosta to have been able to do this. I found the whole thing emotional viewing based on how special this was and getting the opportunity to be a fly on the wall and travel back in time - I may have cried.

Wish the Ballet Boyz had made more films in this style - now off to find their Wheeldon at the Bolshoi documentary.

• Like 2