Great British Rail Sale (50% off many tickets for travel between 25th April and 27th May)

Yaffa

Today is the start of the 'first ever Great British Rail Sale' with 17 Government-contracted rail operators offering more than a million tickets (mostly advance tickets) for travel between 25th April and 27th May at around half price. There are further discounts for railcard holders. Not all routes are available, and tickets for weekends are expected to go particularly fast. 
Further information can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/over-one-million-half-price-rail-tickets-in-first-ever-great-british-rail-sale
And, as always, moneysavingexpert.com has useful info about the sale and other good travel deals at at: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/04/half-price-rail--sale--launched-by-government---find-out-how-it-/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don't think this is actually part of the above, since tickets are well below half price, but while hunting around for business purposes I've discovered that South Western Railways are doing some ridiculously low fares at the moment - I can get a single from Waterloo to Southampton, for instance, for less than it costs me to get from the London suburbs to central London and back!  (In fact, if I didn't mind it taking twice as long I could go with Southern Railways and pay the princely sum of £2.70!)  I haven't investigated much further, although it looks as though the fares aren't available starting from intervening stations.

Is there any dance on at the Mayflower Southampton that I might want to go to? :)

I’ve just benefitted from this ( completely surprised it would be applicable though) for my weekly trips up to London at mo. By using day returns on Thameslink….even if coming back the next day….As long as could buy by today …was able to buy a months loads of tickets for £40 which would normally cost me nearly £100 so a terrific saving. I hadn’t even asked for them as thought only applied on inter city trains but obviously got lucky with a very kind ticket seller. 

• Like 2