BalletBoyz - Deluxe - 2022 Tour

I was at the fabulous Storehouse in Chester last night to see BalletBoyz Deluxe double bill.  This programme started touring a week before the first lockdown and has, at last, resumed with some different dancers.

The first item on the programme was Ripple, choreographed by Xie Xin.  The introductory film was really interesting and Ripple itself was just gorgeous and mesmerising.  The movements of the dancers reminded me of the ripples you can see if you drop a pebble in water.  They were joined together, they were separate, they were an ensemble - the ripples were endless but I never wanted it to end.  The movements sometimes reminded me of graceful tai chi movements and were incredibly fluid.  The costumes of loose trousers and shirts really helped the flow.  I loved it.

The second piece was Bradley 4:18.  The introductory film sort of explained that the piece was about different facets of a person (Bradley) 's character.  The work itself had an edgy jazz soundtrack and the movements were edgy and jumpy.  It took me a little while to get into it but it was full of energy and ultimately fun to watch.

It was a super evening and I'm so glad I braved the winter weather to go.

(If you should find yourself in Chester do go and investigate Storyhouse which could best be described as an arts centre.  There is a theatre, cinema, studio theatre, library and restaurant on site and the foyer area makes fabulous use of the space.  It is open every day from 9.)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well that was fun.  I went to see this at Richmond Theatre.  It's one of my favourite theatres, a lovely Frank Matcham gem.  I was glad I had a row end because the leg room was not amazing.  Frank Matcham lived in an age when people were shorter. 

I would agree with Janet that Ripple was lovely.  I loved the way the performers interacted.  It reminded me of water but also of the curves and lines of a Zen garden.  I found it very relaxing and meditative.   

I was less keen on Bradley 4:18.  It was just a bit much strutting around and aggressive posturing for my taste.  The later parts were better (especially the last number)  but on the whole I liked that less. I did enjoy the music though as it really suited the choreography.  

I thought the dancers were really talented, the pieces were interesting and it was a lovely night out.  If this is on near you I'd definitely recommend it.  

• Like 1

On 01/04/2022 at 08:20, Jan McNulty said:

(If you should find yourself in Chester do go and investigate Storyhouse which could best be described as an arts centre.  There is a theatre, cinema, studio theatre, library and restaurant on site and the foyer area makes fabulous use of the space.  It is open every day from 9.)

So glad you like Storyhouse! Speaking as one of the volunteers it’s definitely our pride and joy and there’s a strong dance element to its offering to the public. As well as Balletboyz in the last year we’ve had Agudo Dance Company’s sultry Carmen, Rambert 2’s astonishing Home/Killer Pig (my eardrums are still recovering!), and Gecko’s remarkable physical theatre piece The Wedding. We’ve got Motionhouse coming in June, but sadly I can’t make it. If BRB ever reinstate their split tours, I would love them to use us!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisG said:

So glad you like Storyhouse! Speaking as one of the volunteers it’s definitely our pride and joy and there’s a strong dance element to its offering to the public. As well as Balletboyz in the last year we’ve had Agudo Dance Company’s sultry Carmen, Rambert 2’s astonishing Home/Killer Pig (my eardrums are still recovering!), and Gecko’s remarkable physical theatre piece The Wedding. We’ve got Motionhouse coming in June, but sadly I can’t make it. If BRB ever reinstate their split tours, I would love them to use us!

I've had the pleasure of going to Storehouse a couple of times so I may actually have seen you!  There are a couple of things you have listed there (well actually all 3 of them) that I was desperate to see but the dates didn't work out.

I'm a supporter of Fallen Angels Dance Theatre who work there a lot too.