Dance studio at home? Yes or No?

MariaDance

Hi MariaDance

Firstly what are your needs and why do you think you need your home studio ?

For me it was relatively strait forward, I was hiring around 10 studio hours a weeks associated with my own repertoire and rehearsal practice, all on top of the classes I was attending. Hiring was very costly, but more importantly availability was often a problem.

Basically I needed sufficient floor space to run through the majority of my rep, my decision to design and build my own studio was taken several years before COVID. The floor-space was limited by the UK building regulations, after a chat with a nice gentleman in the local planning department my best option was to limit the floor space to no more than 30 Sqm, above that far more restriction apply as well as the need to inspect every stage of the build. Although at first my intention was to exceed it just a little but I had a length restriction because of my proximity to a river.

The whole process from conception to the building completed was between 3 and 4 years. At that time we had never planned for on-line working so majority of that development took place after the beginning of the COVID pandemic.

As a dance studio I have 30sqm of Harlequin Sprung floor, most of two sides have full length mirrors, a 3 metre and a 1.5m portable barre. 3 large Screen displays , Stereo audio system with 2 mixing desks, 4 laptops, 8 cameras including a tracking camera to follow the dancer, various mics, DVD player and video recorder, center overhead studio lighting and lighting both sides of the studio for wings, all remotely controlled. And of course we have full air conditioning too.

We have since build a cabin outside to house the studios fitness equipment when its not in use.

Just to finish things off, I have a ballerina statue just outside the entrance door.

Hope that helps

Michelle x

On 26/02/2022 at 22:10, Michelle_Richer said:

Hi MariaDance

Firstly what are your needs and why do you think you need your home studio ?

For me it was relatively strait forward, I was hiring around 10 studio hours a weeks associated with my own repertoire and rehearsal practice, all on top of the classes I was attending. Hiring was very costly, but more importantly availability was often a problem.

Basically I needed sufficient floor space to run through the majority of my rep, my decision to design and build my own studio was taken several years before COVID. The floor-space was limited by the UK building regulations, after a chat with a nice gentleman in the local planning department my best option was to limit the floor space to no more than 30 Sqm, above that far more restriction apply as well as the need to inspect every stage of the build. Although at first my intention was to exceed it just a little but I had a length restriction because of my proximity to a river.

The whole process from conception to the building completed was between 3 and 4 years. At that time we had never planned for on-line working so majority of that development took place after the beginning of the COVID pandemic.

As a dance studio I have 30sqm of Harlequin Sprung floor, most of two sides have full length mirrors, a 3 metre and a 1.5m portable barre. 3 large Screen displays , Stereo audio system with 2 mixing desks, 4 laptops, 8 cameras including a tracking camera to follow the dancer, various mics, DVD player and video recorder, center overhead studio lighting and lighting both sides of the studio for wings, all remotely controlled. And of course we have full air conditioning too.

We have since build a cabin outside to house the studios fitness equipment when its not in use.

Just to finish things off, I have a ballerina statue just outside the entrance door.

Hope that helps

Michelle x

Wow, that’s dedication!! I’d love to see the reaction of my husband if I suggested I planned to do this! He’d probably have a coronary at the costs or otherwise die laughing at the thought of me taking my dancing so seriously….

ooh, now there’s a thought🤔

Just seeing how merely mentioning it could make it all possible….!!! 😉😂

• Like 1