Medical checkup for foreigners mandatory in Russia next year

I got the news from a dancer working in Russia and we both hoped it wouldn't come to this but it did. It's insane. From next year, foreigners working in Russia are obliged to undergo a detailed medical checkup, including x-rays and MRI, finger prints, blood tests, tests on diseases like tuberculosis, drugs, HIV, syphilis. Results must be provided to Russian migration authorities. Those who refuse to do so, risk loosing their work permit.

I find this outrageous! 

Link to article:

https://m.dw.com/en/foreigners-in-russia-outraged-by-new-medical-checks/a-60182104

• Like 2

Crikey - having to be tested for HIV seemed pretty antiquated back when I got my work visa in 2003. This is mind-boggling by comparison.

Given that the named conditions are, shall we say, not unknown in Russia, I'm struggling to find an honourable motive.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

Fingerprints??? Sounds to me more like a criminal than a sick person.🙄

The whole thing, esp testing a 6-year-old for STIs, is pretty out there but the fingerprints don't bother me so much. For the US "Global Entry" program I had to be fingerprinted and those fingerprints verified (supposedly) every time I come home....and that's my own country. I've also seen UK Border Control taking thumb prints, although I don't know what (if anything) is done with them. 

An internet scan of other articles on the topic suggests the every 3 months may or may not be enforced. Russia can apparently ill afford to lose the foreign investment or the migrant worker that will be affected. It may be a negotiating tactic where you ask for more than you want or expect to get and then "negotiate" to what you really wanted in the first place. 

But you already need finger prints for an ordinary holiday visit for your Russian visa if you live in UK right now so that won’t be new. All sounds a bit over the top though! 
No doubt need every three months in case you pick something up in Russia while you’re there lol!! 

16 minutes ago, LinMM said:

But you already need finger prints for an ordinary holiday visit for your Russian visa if you live in UK right now so that won’t be new. All sounds a bit over the top though! 

I had no idea about the finger prints 🤯 back in 2019 it wasn't necessary. And yes, over the top it is, no matter which country.

• Like 1