Short term contracts

Justkeepsmiling

I have a dd in vocational upper school and am thinking ahead. If fortunate enough to get offered a short term contract post graduation, what do dancers do in terms of living arrangements if the contract is away from home? I’m thinking specifically of short term contracts, less than a year/six months where it would be difficult to get a rental contract. Many thanks in advance.

Ds’s second contract in Europe had a probation period of four months. Because of this he didn’t want to commit to a long term rental contract. But we found that a majority of the apartment rentals had no time frame and you just had to give a months notice to leave. I’m not sure whether this is the norm in Europe. Another option, which he did for the first couple of weeks until he found an apartment, was airBnb. More expensive but you can get some good deals if taking out contracts for over a month. 

• Like 3

The network of contacts that your dd builds while at vocational school may be invaluable.  

eg If she needs a short term lease in Manchester, it may coincide with a friend of a friend who lives in Manchester taking a temporary contract elsewhere, or going on tour.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, glowlight said:

The network of contacts that your dd builds while at vocational school may be invaluable.  

eg If she needs a short term lease in Manchester, it may coincide with a friend of a friend who lives in Manchester taking a temporary contract elsewhere, or going on tour.  

Thank you! I hadn’t thought of that possibility as well. 

In London there is a huge market of lets and sub lets in the entertainment industry.  The Facebook group Hustle Homes is a good starting point.

Dd's current house share she took over the room of someone who got a contract to go on tour.

Edited by Jewel