Live streaming of Neumeier Nutcracker in Munich

Follow the link and go to the multi media page. Try one of the current videos there. If that plays it should mean the stream will play. It's 7.30pm Munich time so 6.30 UK I guess. I presume on the night the direct link will appear. They also are posting info on their facebook page Bayerisches Staatsballett so I'm keeping an eye on that too. Hope I can get it to work as I haven't been out to see this.

What a shame that it clashes with the Royal Ballet's live relay. That's the second time that that has happened this year, although the other one was actually a cinema broadcast. Given that there are so few of these as yet, I'm a little surprised that companies can't coordinate these things a bit better: the RB dates have been known for, what, something like half a year?

Well, that Nutcracker is certainly very different to the RB's! As toursenlaire said, it is structurally quite similar but the central story of Drosselmeyer's nephew being trapped in the body of a nutcracker and rescued by the love of Clara is absent. There is no battle between the mice and the soldiers and no transformation scene. I wasn't really sure what the story was supposed to be. I imagine that I would understand more after a second viewing. It was very interesting to see such a different take on a familiar ballet. The company is to be congratulated for streaming the performance live into all our homes, for free. Julie, what was your son dancing?

I so enjoyed it. I liked the premise as explained by Ivan Liska beforehand. Martin was an old man in the first act and a jester in the second. Fun for me though too was in the interval he seemed to be in a lot of shots.

I enjoyed the different take. I think I was expecting it to be rather too "clever" but actually I thought it flowed beautifully and "worked". I expect children would not be so enthralled and I wouldn't want it to replace a traditional one but I certainly enjoyed it.

Looking forward to "Heroes".

I so enjoyed it. I liked the premise as explained by Ivan Liska beforehand. Martin was an old man in the first act and a jester in the second. Fun for me though too was in the interval he seemed to be in a lot of shots.

I enjoyed the different take. I think I was expecting it to be rather too "clever" but actually I thought it flowed beautifully and "worked". I expect children would not be so enthralled and I wouldn't want it to replace a traditional one but I certainly enjoyed it.

Looking forward to "Heroes".

Isn't that funny, Julie, I was looking at those jesters in the intermission and wondering if one of them was Martin! Watching this Nut reminded me how beautiful it is and brought back many memories of seeing it in Winnipeg... where it always was a hit with children and adults alike. The Royal Winnipeg Ballet retired it because the theatres where they tour demanded a Christmas tree...

Seeing it now, knowing much more about ballet, I appreciate the allusions to all the Petipa ballets. When I used to see it the Arabian dance was as I recall more Arabian and not a Pharaoh's Daughter takeoff. Also the Chinese costume was more Chinese rather than a tutu, though the choreography is the same (I think, it's getting on 20 years since I saw it in Winnipeg).

I just think the whole idea of the "sweets" being the wonderful "Treats" that classical ballet provides us with is such a wonderful interpretation of it.

I don't miss the rats one bit!

It's a shame that I didn't watch the introduction. I suppose that I am wondering whether the ballet should be called something else given the absence of the central story (and the battle - after all, the ballet is based on ETA Hoffman's story The Nutcracker and The Mouse King). Did the Nutcracker feature in any way other than as a doll carried about by Marie? What did everyone think about Polina Semionova? She looked incredibly tall to me (is she?) and I felt that her partner struggled to lift her. The other thing that struck me was that there was more dancing for the men than you usually find in The Nutcracker. A very interesting, cheap and comfortable evening (I hate going out in the cold and dark and tend to hibernate a bit in the Winter but I'll have to make an exception for a few things eg the RB's Nut and ENB's Sleeping Beauty).

I thought the Neumiere was in all very refreshing. I love the idea that the real gift was that of dance ... and the kingdom of sweets was represented by all the potential and wonder that is locked in that magical world which this board celebrates - what a wonderful idea for christmas .... and that the nutcracker doll would, in fact, watch this as well. Loved the fact that the figurine the young girl first wanted to emulate was that of a dancer, much as her sister had before her. Loved the Petipa reference in terms of Drosselmeyer - and his association with the immediate family - and the family of dancers as a whole - and the fact that it traced the development of a young woman THROUGH the joy of dance (and not just horror a la Nureyev). Loved the fact too that Petipa could fall ... and pick himself up. That he wasn't a monster or merely a reverential image. Love the pas set for Marie's sister, Louise, to the interlude which is so frequently cut or simply employed as an orchestral element. Loved, too, the fact that all the key characters were followed through. There was much to applaud here in terms of the imaginative use of the music and it is clear that Neumiere has the choreographic skill that was, sadly, so lacking in, say, Bourne's take on Sleeping Beauty ... albeit in a different idiom. This too was nice idea ... but it was the clarity and focus of the steps that made it work successfully ... and that will allow it to last.