Re-auditioning for RBS Mids

PointytoesMum

Hello everyone. I’m new! 
My DD was a Y6 RBS JA and was on the SWL for a Mids place. Unfortunately one didn’t come up for her this year. So, back to auditions we go. Is anyone else in this situation? I’m also wondering if it’s appropriate to take her to the Mids audition in her JA uniform? Happy to hear your thoughts.

We have not been in this position but know others who have as places do come up with some deciding to give up Associates and others head off to vocational school.  Good luck with the audition.  My personal advice would be not to war the JA uniform.  The auditions team will know she was a JA and I am sure your DD will have a leotard she will feel more comfortable in, which is of greater importance what wearing the old JA one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dancing Kitty said:

We have not been in this position but know others who have as places do come up with some deciding to give up Associates and others head off to vocational school.  Good luck with the audition.  My personal advice would be not to war the JA uniform.  The auditions team will know she was a JA and I am sure your DD will have a leotard she will feel more comfortable in, which is of greater importance what wearing the old JA one.

Thank you Kitty - our local Mids class was apparently quite young with only 3 dancers ‘graduating’ from it to make space for new children in the current year. So hopefully a few more will be moving on this year to let the younger ones in!

Good luck to her! My own view would be not to wear the JA uniform - many JA's will be wearing it for the first Y7 Mids/WL audition but I think it would look confusing if northing else to wear it for a y8 Mids audition. It will likely also make her look younger than she is? I'd just get her to wear a leotard she loves and feels good in. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Waverley said:

Good luck to her! My own view would be not to wear the JA uniform - many JA's will be wearing it for the first Y7 Mids/WL audition but I think it would look confusing if northing else to wear it for a y8 Mids audition. It will likely also make her look younger than she is? I'd just get her to wear a leotard she loves and feels good in. 

Good point - she has matured in body shape a little over the last year. She has plenty of more flattering choices in the wardrobe for sure! And I will be delighted to not have to faff with those pleats!

• Like 1

Deffently go for it my DD has had no's all the way through JA's swl for first year of mids a no last year but was offered a place for this year. Her mids teacher asked why she hadn't auditioned before she was shocked to hear she had every year. There is simply not enough place for so many talented dancers so out there. Good look😊

• Like 2

The only difference I can think leotard choice really makes is to comfort and confidence. If a dancer is happy with how they look, and not fiddling with uncomfy straps etc then they are likely to show themselves at their best.

I think most of the JAs/JA parents I've known have disliked the leotard to be honest and would probably prefer something else. Also if I've understood correctly, your DD isn't a JA any more? So she's presumably grown since she was one, and the fit might not be great? Personally, I'd opt for a nice, well fitting camidole leotard that she likes. There's also the small chance that someone on the panel might not like her wearing the uniform when technically she isn't currently a JA. But I would imagine that most panels are professional and experienced enough to see beyond a child who is wearing something less than ideal - especially at the age where it is more than likely the parents choice anyway. 

• Like 1