Buying tickets for Paris Opera Ballet

Hello to everyone who might have some information or experience on the best (aka most economical) way of buying tickets for the PoB.

I am keen to see the Ashton / Bausch / eyal triple in December but have left it a bit late it seems on the ticket front and the only remaining tickets are in the 100 euro plus brackets! 

Is there a forum like this (or other resource, eg. Friday rush like at the RB) where one can find more reasonably priced tickets? 

MERCI in advance for any info ❤️

Edited by Clara_f
Typo
  • Like 1

Merci beaucoup tout le monde! I went through the official resale site bourse.opera and found some good tickets for 5 December. I also checked dansomanie (I'm half French so the language was not an issue) but could not find a resale section like we have here, but I might have missed something! 

Much appreciated for all your advice!

Not to hijack this thread but it’s quite timely as I was considering booking for La Bayadere next year. 

I was mainly wondering if tickets do sell out quite quickly as given we’re still in COVID times I don’t know if it’s too risky to book when tickets go on sale. 

linked to the above if I couldn’t attend because of covid (either a U.K. lockdown or me catching it or something like that) do Paris Opera do a exchange/credit/re sale scheme? There was mention of the official ticket resale website above - could I put my tickets up on that?

And any other general hints/tips much appreciated. I know Bayadere is in the Bastille so I don’t know whether to actually hold out and go for Giselle in the Garnier instead!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/11/2021 at 20:31, JNC said:

Not to hijack this thread but it’s quite timely as I was considering booking for La Bayadere next year. 

I was mainly wondering if tickets do sell out quite quickly as given we’re still in COVID times I don’t know if it’s too risky to book when tickets go on sale. 

linked to the above if I couldn’t attend because of covid (either a U.K. lockdown or me catching it or something like that) do Paris Opera do a exchange/credit/re sale scheme? There was mention of the official ticket resale website above - could I put my tickets up on that?

And any other general hints/tips much appreciated. I know Bayadere is in the Bastille so I don’t know whether to actually hold out and go for Giselle in the Garnier instead!

Hi JNC 

I have found that if you book a month in advance or so there is still a good selection of tickets left. Less than that and it becomes a bit spendy. However decent priced tickets do then become available on the resale site below.

The official resale site is: 

https://bourse.operadeparis.fr 

Garnier is stunning inside with a Chagall painted ceiling X with some serious gold and marble going on.

Have never been to Bastille but am sure it's a cool experience!

Just one thing to note is that on my recent visit there was no orchestra in the pit due to COVID measures and it did detract somewhat from the experience as the interaction between live music and dance is the key to reaching the zenith for me.

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 2

On 16/12/2021 at 02:05, Clara_f said:

Have never been to Bastille but am sure it's a cool experience!

I have just been this weekend to the Bastille for the very first time (Don Quixote - Gilberte/Marchand) and it is definitely a different experience. Even if you're not into this particular style of contemporary architecture it is exhilarating to watch a ballet performance together with 2.700 other spectators in the huge auditorium. I guess it must be similar at the Royal Albert Hall in London. 

• Like 3

Thank you both! I have to admit I would be a bit disappointed if there wasn’t a live orchestra (at that point if the reason is covid why not cancel the performance as surely the dancers shouldn’t be mingling either) but fingers crossed all remains ok on the covid side although omicron is hitting us and Europe hard. But hopefully means it’ll have passed by next spring…

On 20/12/2021 at 13:58, JNC said:

Thank you both! I have to admit I would be a bit disappointed if there wasn’t a live orchestra (at that point if the reason is covid why not cancel the performance as surely the dancers shouldn’t be mingling either) but fingers crossed all remains ok on the covid side although omicron is hitting us and Europe hard. But hopefully means it’ll have passed by next spring…

You are right, of course, the missing live orchestra was a disappointment. On the other hand, as visiting Paris to see ballet for me is a pleasure that is not to be had everyday, I was very happy that they didn't cancel the entire performance and that I was still able to enjoy some spectacular dancing. It is probably a testament to the professionalism of these dancers and their relief at still being allowed to perform that they did their very best to make you forget that they did not in fact dance to taped music, even though it must have beem a sore let-down for them, too. I suspect that hygiene protocols at some houses are pretty sophisticated by now which is why POB was able to still go ahead with the planned performances. Financially, this solution was probably far less damaging than having to cancel and refund 2,700 tickets.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2021 at 13:58, JNC said:

Sorry, I forgot: I do wish you all the best and that this awful Omicron wave will be over soon and not cost too many lives. 

In Germany, it is still ahead of us and it is not going to be fun - sadly, in Stuttgart, more than 30% of the population are not vaccinated and not likely to get vaxxed anytime soon either, not voluntarily anyway. So, January and February could get rather grim here. Let's hope not.

And: Merry Christmas to Everyone reading this and thank you to all your wonderful contributions. I have been learning so much on this forum!

My biggest wish is that next year will see the end of the great difficulties we had to endure during last two years.!

• Like 5