Antonio Pappano to take over at the London Symphony Orchestra

Guest oncnp

Guest oncnp

The Royal Opera House today confirms that Sir Antonio Pappano will continue as Music Director of The Royal Opera until the end of the 2023/24 ROH Season. Tony will join the London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) as Chief Conductor Designate in their 23/24 Season, assuming full responsibility as Chief Conductor in September 2024.

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/the-royal-opera-house-confirms-antonio-pappano-as-music-director-until-202324-season

Or, as the ROH puts it:

"Antonio Pappano Confirmed as Music Director until 2024" :) 

As a valued Supporter, we wanted to let you know that Tony Pappano, our beloved Music Director has confirmed that he will continue in the role until summer 2024. Tony will join the London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) as Chief Conductor Designate in their 2023/24 Season, assuming full responsibility as Chief Conductor in September 2024.

Tony Pappano says ‘Over the last twenty years the ROH has become my family, my home and my heart. The richness and depth of my relationship with UK audiences is hugely important to me and I am thrilled to be able to continue this with the LSO. I am excited to embrace future projects with friends and colleagues at the ROH over the next three Seasons and I look forward to continuing our close and wonderful association over the many years ahead.’

Alex Beard, ROH Chief Executive said: ‘I am delighted that Tony has decided to make the UK his long-term musical base, continuing his commitment to enhancing musical life in London and ensuring his close relationship with UK-wide audiences is ongoing. This is fantastic news for London as we collectively rebuild the arts following the pandemic. I look forward to the next three Seasons of remarkable music-making together at Covent Garden, Tony's operatic home, and to many years of close friendship and association.’

Tony is our longest serving Music Director and will have served for 22 years in the role by the end of the 2023/24 Season. Under his guidance and direction the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, The Royal Opera Chorus and the remarkable talents of the Jette Parker Young Artist Programme have developed into world-leading ensembles, setting a benchmark for all opera houses today. Through his musical brilliance he has commanded the trust of the world’s greatest singers creating many truly memorable moments. Most recently he has been sharing his passion for music through the #OurHouseToYourHouse musical series.

Over the next three Seasons at the Royal Opera House Tony will continue to delight you, our audience, as he conducts an exciting roster of operas, opening the 2021/22 Season with a new production of Rigoletto. Next Season he will also conduct a new Samson et Dalila, and revivals of beloved classics The Marriage of Figaro and Cavalleria rusticana and Pagliacci. Further details of the 2021/22 Season will be released in June. Public booking opens on 24 August 2021.

Beyond the 2021/22 Season, Tony will continue his close relationship with Covent Garden as he conducts our new cycle of Richard Wagner’s iconic Der Ring des Nibelungen, which will reunite him with acclaimed stage director Barrie Kosky. The new Ring cycle will begin with Das Rheingold in September 2023.

50 minutes ago, alison said:

Beyond the 2021/22 Season, Tony will continue his close relationship with Covent Garden as he conducts our new cycle of Richard Wagner’s iconic Der Ring des Nibelungen, which will reunite him with acclaimed stage director Barrie Kosky. The new Ring cycle will begin with Das Rheingold in September 2023.

I’m reading this as meaning that Tony Pappano will be conducting the whole new Ring cycle which starts in September 2023 and I assume will not be complete for some years. If so that’s very welcome news. And excellent for the LSO too.

• alison changed the title to Antonio Pappano to take over at the London Symphony Orchestra

I believe that Pappano's current contract with the Royal Opera runs until 2024 but the chances are that we may see quite a bit less of him in the pit over the next three years. I am sure there will be people who will disagree with me but I think that a tenure of more than fifteen years is too long for any music director and that one of more than twenty years is excessive as even the most gifted and innovative of music  directors will eventually become stale.  I should be very interested to know what you think his most significant contribution to the Royal Opera has been, how his time as music director will be judged in the context of the undoubted contributions made by those who preceded him and what you think will be seen as his lasting artistic legacy to the organisation ? 

Personally, I'm pleased to hear Tony Pappano has decided to stay in London & go to the LSO after ROH. I've attended most of his opera productions & mostly loved what he has drawn from the pit (I thought there was nothing new to hear in Carmen with Anna Caterina Antonacci & Kaufman, but I was wrong) & I think he will be a good fit at the LSO & I'll certainly be interested to see what direction he takes that orchestra in. He has clearly been very loyal to ROH especially since the financial crisis in 2008 onwards when the opera rep narrowed considerably to ensure revenues were maintained & other leaders might have just walked away & gone abroad to better funded houses. 

• Like 1