UK readers may be interested to know that the film "Nijinsky" is being screened on Talking Pictures TV (Freeview 81) on Friday 26 February at 9pm.  I am not sure if this 1980 film has ever been shown on 'free' channels previously, as I don't think I have seen it since its cinema release.  It stars ABT principal George de la Pena as Nijinsky, with Leslie Browne as Romola, Alan Bates as a very credible Diaghilev, Carla Fracci as Karsavina and Anton Dolin as Enrico Cecchetti.  London Festival Ballet dancers play other Ballet Russes dancers, and future principal dancers can be spotted amongst the corps de ballet.  The film includes large chunks of the LFB/Beriosov productions of "Scheherazade", "Polovtsian Dances"", "Petrouchka" etc., and an almost complete "L'Apres-midi d'un Faune" (with a bit of artistic licence at the end) in a recreation of the glorious sets and costumes by Bakst.  There is also a snippet of "Jeux" choreographed by Kenneth MacMillan and an attempt to recreate part of 'Sacre' using the original set and costume designs. The film was directed by Herbert Ross, who was the husband of the great American ballerina, Nora Kaye, so all the dance scenes are filmed with a real appreciation of the choreography.  Well worth a lockdown watch!

• Like 10

I was just about to post about this too! Can really recommend this film, with an excellent cast ( including a very young Jeremy Irons who plays Fokine)and wonderful staging of the ballet extracts. I have a book about the film which includes a very detailed account of its making -casting/ locations/staging etc. , so if after viewing it anyone has any questions regarding background I might be able to find the answers.

Edited to add that Patrick Dupond was originally considered for therole of Nijinsky (apparently as well as his superb dancing, the Rosses were struck by his resemblance to Nijinsky), but his shaky command of English was considered a problem.

Edited by Odyssey

48 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I saw this film on TV a long time ago and have always been unable to obtain a region 2 DVD, so I'm very pleased to be able to see it again!

Also available to rent or purchase with the usual caveats on Amazon Prime.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nijinsky-Alan-Bates/dp/B00I4GNI0G/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Nijinsky&qid=1613831546&sr=8-1