RAD exam results enquiry or appeal

DanceTeacher

Look, we don't know what happens inside the studio.  We went into lockdown in March for 2 months just as my students were about to have exams. We worked for a month or so to get them back into shape and I was expecting really good marks for some of my Intermediates.  One group got better marks than I'd expected - high Merits, but the better group got less than I had expected. Two got low Distinctions and the others lowish Merits.  I did some digging and discovered that the air conditioning had gone cuckoo and the flooring was affected - it turned slippery.  In their demi pointe shoes, they found it very difficult to control their technique.  It very often happens also that nerves get the better of them.   This is why I impress upon all my students that the actual marks are not always an indication of a dancer's worth.   The process of training for an exam advances your technique and that stays with you whatever the exam result.   

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 8

Absolutely, @Dance *is*life. My youngest dd never scored highly in her ballet exams yet her ballet teacher was always telling me what a good dancer she was. She thought my dd probably got too nervous to do herself justice in exams. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dance*is*life said:

This is why I impress upon all my students that the actual marks are not always an indication of a dancer's worth.   The process of training for an exam advances your technique and that stays with you whatever the exam result.   

Brava! This is so true. Focusing on the mark is putting the cart -of assessment- before the horse -of actual learning.

• Like 4

Also, there may be many valid reasons to take dance exams, but you don’t need any to be a professional dancer - if that is your aim. As others have said,   it is the slow and steady matter of improving your technique and artistry that matters. The marks you get on any one exam don’t matter.

• Like 3