9 hours ago, Allwrong said:

Well I can probably give a better idea when DD is back in Brussels after her first professional audition and I can grill her a bit! 
My impression is that they are extremely active in helping dancers find jobs, and certainly have plenty of successes with Eastern European classical companies. DD is currently at an audition with several such companies and Anderson has turned up to film the 4 BIBS girls selected to attend during one audition class so he can watch back with and give them tips. He suggested (strongly urged) this opportunity to DD (3 audition days and a gala) and it’s being a huge and very productive learning curve.

DD will be auditioning seriously next season, so it’s hard for me to judge support, but plenty of dancers at the school are attending multiple auditions and one has been accepted for ENBS Swan Lake in-the-round.

As for communication with parents, it’s hard to say, as DD was 18 when she first went out and did pretty much all  of the one-to-one communication herself. They send out general missives pretty rarely, but we haven’t had personal contact bar admin and a progress report.
Communication used to be in dodgy often hilarious mock-English, but to the family’s disappointment they have now got an admin person with good English, and it’s got much more comprehensible. The language barrier with staff is a bit of an issue, though, until you adapt to it. DD has near-native French, which helps a bit, but the faculty are mostly not native French speakers either.

Communication of arrangements for performances is rather cursory and subject to change, but I reckon that’s not too important for parents, but in general you have to get used to trusting the process and being patient until you know what’s going on. It’s probably the school’s weak point, but matters much less when you trust the school and can see your child really well supported and challenged to succeed. I know DD is very confident with how things work now, and knows she is valued. But in the early months she was second-guessing a lot and mistakenly felt she was disappointing her teachers on occasion. The language barrier / cultural barrier does create an initial distance between dancers and staff. But actually they are really invested in every individual student, and DD couldn’t be more supported.

Thank you so much - thats so helpful and much appreciated

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/02/2023 at 23:04, rainemaker said:

Hi 👋 my daughter has just been accepted for the 23/24 year. We are in Australia and she will be 18 when she arrives in Brussels. I am also searching the internet for accommodation solutions. Have you found any? Which country is your daughter coming from? 

How are the kids who started 23/24 liking BIB so far? We are considering attending next year, would love any advice x 

On 23/02/2024 at 19:06, Tiaramum said:

Hi Ebonee.

No decision here as yet. It really does sound a great school and like they give great training but work you hard which would suit my dd. I need to look into the accomodation and see how that works. 

Its such a long way away too - lots to think about.

Feel free to PM me anytime - we can maybe share our findings whilst we make our decisions.

Everything sounds pretty positive so far for us too, we have not accepted yet, but looking like we will be! Let me know if you guys end up accepting and maybe we can help each other through the visa process and accommodation options!

On 24/02/2024 at 08:29, HLH said:

Are the students invited for the fall also invited to attend the summer program?   Just curious.  My daughter is planning to go for the summer program. 

Nothing was mentioned to us about the summer 

On 25/02/2024 at 19:34, Blue said:

Hello, My DD (17) was offered a place PTP24. Would love to connect with other parents whose kids will be starting in Sept.Thanks! 

Hi Blue My daughter has also been offered a place at BIB this year! Where are you guys coming from?

On 23/02/2024 at 19:06, Tiaramum said:

Hi Ebonee.

No decision here as yet. It really does sound a great school and like they give great training but work you hard which would suit my dd. I need to look into the accomodation and see how that works. 

Its such a long way away too - lots to think about.

Feel free to PM me anytime - we can maybe share our findings whilst we make our decisions.

Where are you guys coming from? We are in Australia- I will dm you 

On 14/01/2024 at 08:46, Tiaramum said:

Hello all. We’ve just received an offer for this school! Eek! Would love to hear some thoughts from current students/parents. 

thanks in advance x

I have started a fb group for any parent sending their child to BIB PTP in 2024, so we can connect and help each other with planning, advice and support

https://www.facebook.com/groups/324233006819971/?ref=share_group_link

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/02/2024 at 08:34, Blue said:

Hello, My DD (17) was offered a place PTP24. Would love to connect with other parents whose kids will be starting in Sept.Thanks! 

My daughter (16) from the UK has also been offered a place starting Sept 24. My only concern is the accommodation. I'm hoping to go over for a look around in May

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, meet-me-at-the-barre said:

My daughter (16) from the UK has also been offered a place starting Sept 24. My only concern is the accommodation. I'm hoping to go over for a look around in May

How does the cost compare with UK Upper School? 

17 minutes ago, LGBalletTaxi said:

How does the cost compare with UK Upper School? 

UK students get funding and bursaries depending on salary. I think Brussels is very reasonable compared to UK schools, although I haven't got any accommodation prices yet. Mind you its the accommodation that racks up the price, especially if there is no boarding attached to the school.

• Like 1

In her first year (aged 18), DD used an organisation called Un toit deux âges. She stayed with a family, but fed herself. In return for max 5 hours helping out per week you pay £2000 for the entire year. The organisation were fantastic and supportive. A lot of BIBS students have used them, and many households speak excellent English. https://www.1toit2ages.be/?lang=en

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/03/2024 at 09:26, meet-me-at-the-barre said:

Will you ask for an extension for acceptance? We were only given two weeks to decide! I feel like I need more time also but wasn’t sure if it was the done thing to ask something like that? 

1 hour ago, Tiaramum said:

Hi Ebonee - We secured our place with the deposit whilst trying to decide. A very expensive option I know. I'm still trying to get my head round the housing options!

Ah okay, I didn’t understand when we were actually locked in. So you can still pull out up until signing the next load of documents I guess? 

Yes housing is the biggest stress! I’m hoping to line up a host family but that can’t be done apparently until May/June which is so last minute! 😬 Or otherwise I don’t know where to even begin with lining up a flat?! 

For a flat, try spotahome website. Don’t know if they will have what you want, but they are light on the documents you need to produce. Can’t remember specifics but i know DD had accommodation sorted out before her visa went in. They were happy with a financial guarantee from a UK bank account. Of course because they facilitate contact between the landlord and prospective tenant this may vary from case to case. The other advantage is that you can take out a contract for as little as 3 months, so there is flexibility if your dancer isn’t happy with the flat.

We found it a really easy process and DD got a real bargain, and it’s all been really smooth. With the caveat of course that different landlords might be more complicated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2