Horizons dance theatre

kiwimum6

A bit about Horizons Dance Theatre:

Horizons Dance Theatre is a Youth Contemporary Ballet company consisting of dancers sixteen years and under. This small company of 12 experienced young dancers are an entirely independent company, choreographing their pieces and designing costumes for their performing away from their training and schools as well as teaching courses and workshops in each place we perform in, expanding the awareness of contemporary ballet in areas where it is not that common.

All of the dancers aged 16 have gained places at vocational schools such as Elmhurst School of Dance, Tring Park School for Performing Arts, Central School of Ballet and Rambert School of Contemporary Ballet for next year. Many of the dancers have trained previously with The Pre-Senior Programme at Central School of Ballet or the Royal Ballet School Associate Programme and Tring Park School for Performing Arts.

We are determined to bring new and innovative works to our audiences, using the strength of a classical ballet training with the beauty and freedom of Contemporary Dance.

Edited by Ribbons
  • Like 1

I should add, there are students in their second year of vocational training leading this. One of the lovely dancers in the group is 18 and in 2nd year at Rambert. There are dancers from WL, Elmhurst, ENBS, Tring and Central too represented in the group. AVery inspirational group of youngsters doing it to promote dance amongst other young people. My dd is lucky enough to be part of the founding members and the young man leading them, Richard, is a force to watch for the future. Their choreography is original and fun.

• Like 4

How wonderful for these youngsters giving up their precious time to help other youngsters. Horizon theatre group sounds brilliant and what a good idea. Let me know when they are putting on a show, I would love to come and watch them and pay for a seat. I the youn guy Richard from Tring, if it is, he was always a lovely young man and I wish him all the success in the world.

• Like 2

Hi Fiz, no, Richard does not have red hair! My ds did a workshop with Horizon in the summer, which culminated in a live performance at our local theatre!

My ds is classical through and through and had never experienced contemporary dance before(except Mathew Bourne's Cinderella, which he said wasn't proper ballet!), but he absolutely loved every minute of it!

Richard and Kai's enthusiasm and energy rubbed off on my ds and his young friends. We hope for a repeat performance next summer!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All the best of luck for this dancing theatre group. I think it is absolutely wonderful that these youngsters have got together to form this group inspiring other young dancers. I think I know a couple of the names from this group and I know that they are lovely, lovely people. If you come up North to do a show or if I am in London I will definately come and see you, come to the Lowry please.