Dutch National Ballet: Back to Ballet Classics

I watched the livestream of tonight’s performance, 28 November 2020 from Dutch National Ballet of their Back to Ballet Classics programme

A different paradigm to other digital offerings ... pay to view, but the livestream or recording is only available at the broadcast time, there is no on demand afterwards.   You can sign in up to an hour beforehand to be sure your setup is working ... like being in the theatre on time.  

There will be 4 broadcasts of different casts.  Dates and casts here ... so you can choose your favourites ...

https://www.operaballet.nl/en/online/back-to-ballet-classic-live

CAST  - 28 NOVEMBER 2020  -  20.15 HRS

VALSE FANTAISIE

Soli
Elisabeth Tonev - Davi Ramos

SWAN LAKE, PAS DE DEUX 2ND ACT

Soli
Anna Ol - Jozef Varga

CLASSICAL SYMPHONY

Larghetto
Daniel Silva
Vito Mazzeo
Martin ten Kortenaar
Jared Wright

Gavotte
Remi Wörtmeyer

LE CORSAIRE

Soli
Maia Makhateli - Young Gyu Choi

PAQUITA

Soli
Anna Tsygankova - Costa Allen

Pas de trois
Nina Tonoli
Edo Wijnen
Riho Sakamoto

Edited by FionaE
  • Like 1

Highlights for me were:

- the youngsters Davi Ramos and Elisabeth Tonev ( lovely assured quality)  in Valse Fantasie

- Anna Ol as a serene White Swan

- Maia Makhateli was supreme in Le Corsaire pdd ( although she may have changed the chores to skip the Italian fouettes?  I wasn’t sure and it doesn’t really matter).  Young Guy Choi had some really flashy moments too

- all the performers in Paquita.  Anna Tsygankova may not be around much longer.  Constantine Allen is very easy on the eye with super long legs.  

I missed most of the middle piece due to buffering issues!  (Sounds familiar ... but more worrying as there is no on-demand afterwards.)  I managed to solve the problem by restarting and then scrolling back, effectively watching a few minutes delayed.  The online help team were actually helpful  - gave an email address to send a screenshot.  Although I’d solved it myself by then.  Thank goodness the stream stayed up for 20 or so minutes after the show ended, so my delayed watch did not get cut off.  And I was able to scroll back again and rewatch some bits.  

Well worth €12.50.   I may look at other casts and consider another purchase. 🤔 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FionaE said:

I ...A different paradigm to other digital offerings ... pay to view, but the livestream or recording is only available at the broadcast time, there is no on demand afterwards.    

Only one US company has done this so far, that I’m aware - Tulsa Ballet. I like the idea of committing to a set date & time...just like the old days. I even dressed up!

Thanks for the info. I may be spending 12 December in (Virtual Live) Amsterdam. :)

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

It does rather depend on what the set date and time is, though: would you want to be getting up at 3 am to watch something coming from an appropriate part of the world?  If companies are set on monetising their output, surely they would want it to be as accessible to fans round the world as possible?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alison said:

It does rather depend on what the set date and time is, though: would you want to be getting up at 3 am to watch something coming from an appropriate part of the world?  If companies are set on monetising their output, surely they would want it to be as accessible to fans round the world as possible?

Of course, Alison. I get it but it’s such a special delight to watch in real time (spoken by a figure skating “nut” who woke up at her 1AM two nights ago to watch a Grand Prix event in Osaka, Japan, even if the full competition was available to view during normal hours)!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not wishing to rain on the parade but the show broadcast on 28 November was actually a recording of the real live theatre show from 13 October.   Subsequently the stream due for 4 December was unfortunately changed as there is a covid infection in the company and the dancers had to quarantine so they showed the 28 November show/recording again instead.  Hopefully the other 2 streams will go ahead with respective casts although I was rather hoping to see Maia Makhateli in Paquita on 4th.  I will save my money now for the Christmas Gala on 19th which looks good (and includes an Onegin excerpt!)  

• Like 1