Dancers graduating this year

Luckyshoes

Hello lovely people , I have been thinking about all of your talented children who were due to graduate this year especially. 

How are they all ? Was wondering what the current situation is , are they going back to their original schools in September to re- take the final year.? Or are they expected just to start auditioning as normal whenever that may be ? 

What are your thoughts on future auditions ? Do you think there will be as many ?

Will some smaller companies be in a financial position to carry on ?

Will some small theatres survive ??

so many questions I would love your views on and many more if you feel the urge to reply 

My DD is at GSA doing Actor Muso and the 3rd years are all finishing now. They are not returning in September. They all have agents, so hopefully will start to audition once everything opens up. 

It is far to complicated to allow them to redo their finally year, you can’t have 2 final year year groups. 

My dd is graduating from the Hammond - so sad that after 8 years there that this is how it has ended for her.  We’ve heard there’s going to be a video conference prize giving/ graduation, but no details yet. The Hammond has been proactive in supporting graduates to be taken on by an agent and zoom classes will continue for this final half term.

From September dd will have to source her own classes to keep audition ready - goodness knows when auditions will start again - I’m thinking probably not until close to the end of the year. 

If the course is classed as a degree course they should be protected under the ‘no detriment’ arrangement. In this case the final awarded grade will based on work completed prior to lockdown. Given that theatres are unlikely to be able to open whilst any sort of social distancing is needed due to economic reasons it seems unlikely that normality will return any time soon. My dd has decided to cut her losses and will commence a new academic course in September. It’s been easier to deal with the end of dance than we expected probably because the decision was made for us. 

• Like 1

Every graduate year is tough, but this year especially with cancelled auditions due to the pandemic. Dd is extreme lucky to have secured a ballet company contract for the coming season. Her vocational school have invited all the graduates back for the Autumn term and there is also the Graduate Placement opportunity for two students to stay for the whole year. They are a very small year group so easier to accommodate. Dd needs a visa for her job so there may be a delay. But is still able to return and take classes at her school til she can fly out. 

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

Every graduate year is tough, but this year especially with cancelled auditions due to the pandemic. Dd is extreme lucky to have secured a ballet company contract for the coming season. Her vocational school have invited all the graduates back for the Autumn term and there is also the Graduate Placement opportunity for two students to stay for the whole year. They are a very small year group so easier to accommodate. Dd needs a visa for her job so there may be a delay. But is still able to return and take classes at her school til she can fly out. 

Huge congratulations to your DD! She has done so well to secure a contract in these difficult times! What a lovely move from her vocational school to support their graduates, too.