Interview with Cathy Marston

Please find a link below to my interview with Cathy Marston. It's quite lengthy, but a great read with a cup of tea and a biccie in the garden...if you're fortunate enough to have one! It was really fascinating to speak with her and learn about her journey and what's inspired her over the years. 

There are links to the online streaming of 'The Cellist' and 'Snowblind' at the bottom of the interview which I also hope you enjoy!

https://tothepointemagazine.wixsite.com/tothepointemagazine/single-post/2020/05/28/ToThePointe-Meets-Cathy-Marston?fbclid=IwAR3f18_IkrbwULI2A1AJuoZQl0K26TTr1YxgX7UfEMYmjB45Wv87dRM1UhY

• Like 5

Wow, this is one of the best interviews I have read for a long time, TTP.  Interesting, illuminating and in-depth.  I will certainly be watching The Cellist with different eyes now!  I know how much work this must have taken so a huge thanks to you and Miss Marston for such a wonderful read! 

• Like 1

I agree - this conversation appears to have been highly productive and was an excellent preparation for revisiting The Cellist tonight.  I may have a ramble around other aspects of what came up tomorrow but, for now, warm thanks for a sound piece of work.

• Like 1

To return to Julia's long conversation with Cathy Marston, I was interested to hear that Lauren Cuthbertson had to stand-in for Gillian Revie in Between Shadows, the ballet based on the The Go-Between when, as mentioned, she was in her first weeks with the RB.  That was in May 2002, so I presume that Lauren's final years at RBS had been curtailed.  Whatever the case, there was a significant pdd with Martin Harvey - "performed in a boldly erotic manner" said one review.  And perhaps Lynette H may recall describing it on ballet.co as "of startling emotional and physical intensity"?  My reaction at the time was the more mundane "Does her Mum know what's going on here?" and I don't doubt that her interaction with Cathy paved the way to what we saw in The Cellist.  

It's also worth adding that very soon after her arrival as Director in Bern, she found her company at threat from a consultants' report that suggested that the Ballet Company's costs were largely equal to savings that the Theatre was going to be required to make.  So, amongst everything else she had to deal with as a new arrival, she found herself having to rally public support - which was successful for the duration of her time as Director.  Hard experience behind her, should she wish to consider another Directorship elsewhere.

• Like 2

I remember Between Shadows very well. Whispers from audience members leaving The Clore “Who the  hell is Lauren Cuthbertson”

It didn’t take us long to find that out. I had heard a couple of years ago that Cathy would be presenting a new ballet for the Royal and immediately thought about casting. As soon as we heard about the subject of the ballet, it was pretty obvious to me who would be cast in the main role. 

Edited by Tony Newcombe
Txt error

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

To return to Julia's long conversation with Cathy Marston, I was interested to hear that Lauren Cuthbertson had to stand-in for Gillian Revie in Between Shadows, the ballet based on the The Go-Between when, as mentioned, she was in her first weeks with the RB.  That was in May 2002, so I presume that Lauren's final years at RBS had been curtailed.  Whatever the case, there was a significant pdd with Martin Harvey - "performed in a boldly erotic manner" said one review.  And perhaps Lynette H may recall describing it on ballet.co as "of startling emotional and physical intensity"?  

I've just managed to find Lynette's original review of that performance (scroll down to the third paragraph):

http://web.archive.org/web/20021031052034/http://www.danze.co.uk/dcforum/happening/2732.html

Edited to add that I really enjoyed  TTP's  interview with Cathy Marston.  A most illuminating interview.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

Bluebird:  Well done, and many thanks for finding that ballet.co thread - where I see that several others were greatly taken by that Cuthbertson/Harvey pdd.  I'm sure I won't be alone in using it as an entry point to having a canter down Memory Lane, ballet.co style.

• Like 1