A level Maths paper leak - how was it handled in previous years?

Pas de Quatre

One of my pupils arrived on Friday afternoon very upset about the leak of the Edexcel Math paper.  She had just taken the exam and said it was extraordinarily hard and contained various things that had not appeared in the syllabus.  Then finding out that the paper had been leaked and circulated on social media added to her frustration.   According to the papers this weekend, this is the third time this has happened.  Does anyone know how it was handled in previous years?  It is so hard on those who are honest and simply did their best.

It really is time that Edexcel improved their security/systems for this. You are correct in that it is the third consecutive year that this happened with their Maths A level papers. My daughter was upset last year when she sat the maths exam and discovered afterwards that the paper she found the hardest had been leaked the evening before.  I believe that grade boundaries were adjusted in both years but that overall the numbers involved (that got knowledge of the paper) were not deemed large enough to affect overall results - so a minimal adjustment  I know my daughter felt it unfair but ultimately she did get the hoped for result. Sympathy to your pupil but ultimately I doubt it will make any difference to her result - it just adds to the stress

• 2 weeks later...

My son did this papaer. We received a letter from edexel via our school. It implied they could work out who had seen the paper. Let me know if you haven’t received this letter

I’m sure I can post it if you need. But the message was that they have worked out where the leak came from and are analysing responses. About grade boundaries, I don’t know, but retakes will not be necessary. My son said it was definitely a hard exam, all three papers actually, and he’s a strong candidate.