Polish Mazurka Step

EverHopeful

Hi,

I’m looking for some help on the correct way to perform the polish mazurka step (as in RAD grade 5 character dance D). 

Is it more ‘hop, step, shunt’ or ‘swish, hop, hop’ 😂 hope this makes some sort of sense! 

Ha ha thought it was more ..hop swish hop step ....hop swish hop step .....etc!

with the leg held in small develope in front ( from the swish) on the second hop! 

But arabesque leg seems to imply being held at the back so a bit confused!!

Edited by LinMM

It sounds like a wide topic of discussion! - http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21860

"There is more than one correct version of the Mazurka but the one you describe is the one that I remember one of my first, serious ballet teachers giving us. I personally like the one that steps on 1 (sometimes into a low arabesque), hop and heel tap on & 2, and then brush on 3. I recall learning at least three versions over the years but could not replicate what they are exactly now."

Edited by glissade

I was hoping there would be a simple, definitive answer to this one but the more I try to look into it, the more unclear it becomes!

Do the RAD have any guidelines for character? I have the grade syllabus book and the foundations of classical technique book, but neither seem to break down the step. I just want to know how to gain the best marks I can in the exam. 

Have found some nice demos of the mazurka step ....well what I would call a Mazurka anyway including some from the RAD site but they won't let me copy link to here! 

For a real mazurka but ...less balletic one ..you can see on YouTube the Polish group Mazowsze performing the dance but the step is slightly less delineated than a ballet one! It's performed with the extended leg in front....a sort of hop swish the leg in front hop.....

I suppose you could do the step with the leg in a low arabesque at the back .....so then guess it would be more...... chasse hop with arabesque at back then immediately hop the arabesque leg through into another chasse hop and so on ..continually on alternate legs etc so the Rythym would be chasse  hop hop chasse hop hop and so on. 

A mazurka dance would have a series of steps though not just the main step to make up the dance. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LinMM said:

Ha ha thought it was more ..hop swish hop step ....hop swish hop step .....etc!

with the leg held in small develope in front ( from the swish) on the second hop! 

But arabesque leg seems to imply being held at the back so a bit confused!! 

That's more like what the RAD calls the "Russian" Mazurka step. It comes into the Grade 8 mazurka and boys use it in some classical work too (Advanced Foundation pirouette exercise if I recall correctly). The "Polish" Mazurka step (appears in Grade 5 and Grade 6 character) has the second hop forward (the "shunt") in arabesque.

11 hours ago, DeveloppeD said:

Do the RAD have any guidelines for character? I have the grade syllabus book and the foundations of classical technique book, but neither seem to break down the step. I just want to know how to gain the best marks I can in the exam. 

There don't seem to be any published guidelines for character technique. However the book does contain the BMN, which  shows it as a small introductory hop with front foot at glisse height,  a step forward into arabesque at 45degrees coordinated with arm and head , shunt holding position.  The step forward is on the first beat of the bar. My teacher says it must be turned out, smooth and elegant, not jumpy, with arabesque well held.

• Like 3

Ah yes it was the grade 8 videos I found but couldn't post here!

In Polish folk dancing however it's the "Russian" version they use mostly then! 

In a typical Mazurka there are a series of steps which make up the dance all very recognisable and probably interchangeable as Russian steps too!! And of course as they are usually group dances lots of coming into pairs then into circular groups then into lines etc etc 

Polish dancing is VERY lively! With lots of lifts when in pairs ....not high ones but nevertheless fast and there's lost of use of the upper body which is really nice. 

The Polish waltz is very exciting as its a fast turning affair and quite exhilarating to do ...well when young of course!! 

The men's mountain dances are vicious! With use of sticks or poles and are meant to be very competitive but best to keep well out of the way when they are off on one! 

May PM you about the Tatry Polish group that used to rehearse above Chelsea Ballet in South Ken in the 70's and 80's....if you were there on Fridays you would know about it!!!

Basically Polish mazurka is with the hop step shunt in arabesque, whilst Russian mazurka is with the hop step hop swish through to the front.  When I danced in Onegin,  we had to do the Russian mazurka whizzing around the stage and really moving.  The Polish one as in RAD Grade 5 and 6 seems to move less almost stopping in the arabesque.

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LinMM said:

May PM you about the Tatry Polish group that used to rehearse above Chelsea Ballet in South Ken in the 70's and 80's....if you were there on Fridays you would know about it!!!

I don't recall the Tatry group rehearsing, but they did perform in Coppelia with us for Chelsea Ballet's 25th anniversary gala performance. They lent us some wonderful genuine Polish costumes. I remember wearing a beautiful skirt with hundreds of tiny pleats.

• Like 1

Chelsea Ballet rehearsed Tuesday's and Friday's and Tatry Wednesdays and Fridays .....so Friday's overlapped.

They were in the hall upstairs and made quite a noise when doing their mountain dances!! 

One Friday I went upstairs to see what was going on and discovered this Polish dancing group ....which I then eventually joined for the next five years as well as Chelsea Ballet!! 

They had some lovely songs too!

It fascinated me how the the group (nearly all born in the UK) reverted from Polish to English quite freely...with English bits in the middle of Polish bits and Polish bits in the middle of English bits! 

I Eventually went to Poland ....when it was not easy to do so....and made it among other places to the Tatra mountains around Zakopane.