Rambert at Sadlers Wells, London, Weds 15th May

Rambert are cool. And hot. Maybe it’s my time of life but my temperature was rising and plummeting like a thermal rollercoaster during this performance of three works from three very different choreographers.

A classic McGregor ‘PreSentient’ ( 2002) opened the evening with Kym Sojourna’s sinuous solo setting the scene. The ensemble of twelve dancers danced in groups, duets and solos to the repetitive and driven yet hypnotic music of Steve Reich. If you like Wayne McGregor, and I do, this is a must see. And though the plain purple costumes are simple the designer Ursula Bombshell deserves a mention for her name alone! 

The second work Rouge , by Marion Motin, sizzled from the moment Guillaume Queau sauntered on stage with his long hair loose and his fur coat ( hopefully fake fur) open over his naked torso. The cast of seven were all dressed to the nines in colourful designer togs by Yann Seabra. On stage a cool guitarist Ruben Martinez was so hip it hurt. His guitar riffs ...music composed by Mika Luna..cut through the airwaves and energised the dancers with their insistent rhythms. This work is a Wow ! It’s the party that everybody wants to be invited to. The work opens slowly in a mist of dry ice with Martinez dominating the stage while the dancers crouch low. There is an opening phase of standing and falling but this develops into a very interesting series of scenes, with dramatic red lighting ( hence the title Rouge) . There is a five minute strobe sequence so be warned .... and prepared to close your eyes. But not for too long as you won’t want to miss a minute.

Finally Hofesh Shechter’s ‘In Your Rooms’ ... unfortunately left me cold . It seemed endless and pointless. Whilst I have admired many of Shechter’s other works this seemed to lack direction or meaning.. and I felt the dancers were so poorly lit that it was hard to make out the choreography. A self-indulgent piece but I could still admire the talented dancers and live musicians so all was not lost. I must add that my companion really enjoyed In Your Rooms whilst I wished I’d stayed in mine !

However the ticket price is worth it for the first two pieces which were superb. So dress in layers and you will be prepared for any temperature change ! 

• Like 7

I'm hoping to make it sometime this week, but am not sure - I have so many other things I need to be doing, including work :( 

Oh, and are some form of earplugs advised for the Schechter?

2 hours ago, alison said:

Oh, and are some form of earplugs advised for the Schechter?

Dear Alison, there is a long strobe light for about 5 minutes in Rouge. And very screechy sounds at times in In Your Rooms. I don’t think this Triple is for you to be honest 💕