RBS JA Insight Days 2018

AllAboutTheJourney

I noticed on instagram that RBS are doing Insight Days in two new locations this year - Dundee and Belfast. 

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/participate/insight-days/insight-days-northern-ireland-and-scotland/

The Dundee one would have been closer for us but unfortunately we can't make the date so still hoping to go to the Newcastle one. If anyone else is interested, I contacted RBS to ask when booking for the other centres would be open and was told it should be Monday afternoon (10th). 

Hi Waverley, thanks for this! We are hoping to go to the Birmingham one so good to know when booking is open!

(London is closer to us, but we are away for half term).

Not sure what to expect but our dance teacher said it’s really fun. Fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Does it matter, do you think, if you can't get to the one you would be auditioning for? One of the other dates is more convenient for us, so I am wondering how important it would be to see the 'local' centre? Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks! 

We are going to try and get tickets for the Birmingham insight but ultimately audition for London, as we are away for the London insight day in half term 🙂

I also think looking at dates we will also have to eventually also audition in a different place to London (if she still wants to do it) as it clashes with her dance show..

I think she needs to see if she likes it first! Xx

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well unfortunately the Newcastle Insight Day has been cancelled by RBS - we were offered to switch to another location or to have a refund. Unfortunately we just can't make any of the other 'local' dates work and it seems a little excessive to fly to London for one there... DD's teacher agrees so we are going to leave it and just go for the audition in due course. 

If anyone does make it to an Insight Day it would be really nice to hear about how it went on here!

Hi, my son has just started as a JA in Manchester. We just went to the audition with others from his dance school, it was all very straightforward , no preparation required.

The JA classes he’s doing now are like a proper training regime involving exercises at home 6 days a week. He’s enjoying it, my impression is it’s about dedication and repetition. Certainly an experience!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5 October 2018 at 18:44, Waverley said:

Well unfortunately the Newcastle Insight Day has been cancelled by RBS - we were offered to switch to another location or to have a refund. Unfortunately we just can't make any of the other 'local' dates work and it seems a little excessive to fly to London for one there... DD's teacher agrees so we are going to leave it and just go for the audition in due course. 

If anyone does make it to an Insight Day it would be really nice to hear about how it went on here!

Hi Waverley.. we went to the insight day today and thought I'd let you know what it was like.  It was two hours of dance with questions at the end, and we watched.  There was about 20 of them I think or thereabouts.. it was a mixture of dancing and conditioning exercises.  They did quite a lot of skipping, gallops (in pairs across the room), a bit of improvisation work (making up their own endings to various things, I know nothing about ballet so I am quite useless on this front).  They did a lot on posture, this was a recurring discussion - and they did some work at the barre and some centre work.  They had a pianist which was so lovely, and a lot of the songs and the themes they danced to were from the nutcracker.  The teachers were just so lovely and really made them feel at ease.  My DD was terrified when she went in (a lot of the children seemed to know each other, I think they came in groups from local dance schools, and she didn't know anyone) but as soon as they started dancing she was fine! I have to say, I was also terrified when we went in after witnessing all the warming up, but as soon as it started it was all fine!  It did feel like quite a long class to me and I think she was struggling a bit at the end in terms of concentration.  But she came out loving it and looking forward to telling her dance teacher about it this week.  Any other questions do shout! I'll do my best to remember!  :-) 

• Like 2