Ballet British Columbia: Triple bill, London, March 2018

I was at the rehearsal for Ballet British Columbia at Sadlers Wells, where they start their nationwide tour of a triple featuring works by Crystal Pite, Sharon Eyal, and Emily Molnar (their Artistic Director). We photographed the last named's work, '16 + a room'

25791578547_c0c6d0eb25_z.jpg

artists of the company
© Dave Morgan. 
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

40620163692_96e0ccb15d_z.jpg

artists of the company
© Dave Morgan. 

26791041648_ebbd841d8e_z.jpg

artists of the company
© Dave Morgan. 

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: Ballet British Columbia - 16 + a room (Emily Molnar)

• Like 1

I'd been looking forward to potentially seeing them this evening as a backup if I couldn't get a ticket to the Manon insight, but I've just checked the website and the whole thing is sold out! :( Must be largely the Crystal Pite effect, I'd guess.

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this company at The Lowry in a couple of weeks...

if the rest is as good as the piece we saw, you're in for a treat! I'm seeing the whole show (with no camera blotting the view) this evening, and looking forward to it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alison said:

I'd been looking forward to potentially seeing them this evening as a backup if I couldn't get a ticket to the Manon insight, but I've just checked the website and the whole thing is sold out! :( Must be largely the Crystal Pite effect, I'd guess.

Possibly - they could have done with at least one more show I reckon

• John Mallinson changed the title to Ballet British Columbia: Triple bill, London, March 2018
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw this triple bill at The Lowry and really enjoyed it.  Interestingly enough when I was looking for this thread to write a post I discovered that Ballet BC had performed the same programme at the Birmingham International Dance Festival a couple of years ago.

16 + a room opened the evening.  It was good fluid choreography and the precision with which the male duet was danced was quite breathtaking.  As Trog says 2 years ago, the costumes were black tops and jeans and the set was black.  Interestingly enough, the photograph in the programme featured much lighter coloured costumes

Crystal Pite's Silent Echo was just beautiful.  The snow falling at the back of the stage throughout gave it a serene feeling.  The choreography was lyrical and gorgeous with various groupings of dancers.  Again the costumes and set were black.

The final piece, Bill, was hilarious.  All the dancers except 1 were in off-white unitards.  The one dancer who wasn't was in a mustard-coloured unitard.  If I had to take a guess all the dancers were facets of the same character Bill (which was confirmed in the PPT).  

In all three pieces (all by women choreographers) there was almost an androgynous aspect to the choreography that was quite interesting to watch.  The dancers were all very strong but I couldn't see them fitting into a more classical rep.

I would like to see more of this Company.  I know they have recently performed a new production of R&J...

• Like 4