Question about 3 counties youth ballet

Lemongirl

If there is anyone here who has done it before, where do parents generally wait during the Friday evening rehearsals? My dd will be in the junior company so 4.45 - 6.15pm. The waiting room at Watton seems quite small and the area seems quite remote. Are there any supermarkets, libraries etc nearby?

I grew up in Stevenage (and my mother still lives there). I think that I went bowling there but I don't remember ice-skating (where was the rink?) and roller-discos. They must have been after my time! I don't remember Stevenage being such an exciting place(!) and I was desperate to go away to university at 18. Mind you, although the Town Centre has gone downhill since then IMO, the Old Town has improved. My sister, who lives in Vancouver, is quite impressed with it when she visits our mother. She remembers the High Street being full of bookies and pubs and little else when we lived there.

I'm in Buntingford! Aileen, the ice rink is a furniture store now! We were so excited when it opened when the girls were very small. I was going to learn to skate and so were my daughters when they were old enough. The manager had his hands in the till and the place had closed within 18 months and was mothballed for several years. It was a real shame and a dreadful waste of a resource.

I was in Potters Bar and we regularly used to get the train up to Stevenage to go either bowling or ice skating. I think the bowling place was near to the station so that was fine, but the ice rink was a bit of a walk and we always used to get lost! All those roundabouts looked the same!

Happy days!

• Like 1

When I Iived in Stevenage if we went ice-skating (a rare event) we went to London, probably to Queensway.

Going back to Lemongirl's original question, I am not very familiar with Stevenge now as I only go there to visit my mother. She lives in the extreme north of the town and we rarely go into the Town Centre or to the retail park. There are coffee shops in the High Street and I think a Starbucks in the Town Centre but I don't know how late they open. There must be some nice pubs in and around Knebworth and Watton (and pubs now usually serve coffee) but they might not be your sort of thing. I wonder if the grounds of Knebworth House would be open on a Friday evening, at least for a few weeks.

Lemongirl, there are a couple of pubs in Watton, one is nearly opposite the hall, serves coffee and is really nice - really good food too :) There is a shop almost next to the pub and a post office (theres a hairdressers if you want some time out, hehehe) but its a really nice village and Hertford is only 10 minutes away which has lots of nice restaurants :)