An unexpected relevance of Greek festival sections.

sarahw

I admit to not being desperately keen on long Greek sections however I've seen an advantage to them now:  I wondered why dd knew so many classical references that appeared in her set text Shakespeare- from watching Greek sections apparently. My lack of knowledge clearly indicated I'd snoozed through them!!😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 4

A friend's daughter was at Durham at their open day recently and the tutor talking to her on the liberal arts degree was extremely interested in her classical greek dancing and wanted to know more and thought it sounded like a great hobby to have. It will become in the new edge in personal statements!

If you get a taste for it, the ISTD have an all-greek dance festival. We went to the final last May - just think Sarahw you could have a whole day of relaxation :D

I always really enjoyed Greek sections - I really like the themes and costumes. (And yes, OK, it might have something to do with the fact that my DD had a tendency to do well in that section...😉)

What I used to hate was the older character sections where virtually every competitor ended up dead at the end of their dance, and never ending lyrical modern sections. Now I actually quite like lyrical modern as a style, but for some reason the sections at the festivals we did were always massive, and by the time you're on to the 35th teenage girl in a floaty dress clutching her chest in angst over her unrequited love, it gets a bit tedious. Give me the wood nymphs of the Greek section any day!

Edited by Pups_mum
Typo
  • Like 6