ENB workshops related to production

Circe

Hello- has anyone any experience of the workshops that ENB do associated with the current production? Eg there is a 'Swan Lake on-stage workshop' on Saturday which I have booked my dd into and I wondered if anyone else has been to this kind of thing with ENB and what it was like as we don't know quite what to expect from the details? many thanks

Hi my DD did a "Strictly Gershwin" workshop last year with ENB. She really enjoyed it and it was exciting to go to their HQ in London. Plus it was free! so all in all a fab day! Have a great time x We booked it as part of "kidsweek" last year but I didn't see any ballet workshops listed this time. Dancing10 look at their website it will probably have workshops listed there. We have tried a rep workshop at RAD HQ and that was a nice day too. I think they also run various workshops around the country.

• Like 1

Robin64 is correct that you have to click on the production (under "What's On) on the ENB website rather than Events or Learning where you would think these should be listed - not very keen on the website design as it seems to presuppose you know your way around it. They also usually list them on the publicity leaflets for each venue. I helped out at the "Giselle" workshops a few years ago and I assume the format is much the same for "Swan Lake": there is usually a warm-up class on stage and then a simplified section of a corps de ballet dance from the production is taught. Sometimes participants are encouraged to come up with their own choreography on a theme connected with the production. After that, they have refreshments in another room in the theatre and Amelia Carrington-Lee usually talks about wigs and make-up and may make up a volunteer as one of the characters in the ballet. There are usually costumes, wigs and shoes for the participants to inspect. At this point, for "Giselle", I went through the story with them and taught them all the mime gestures and then the participants were encouraged to ask questions. I imagine there would be something similar for "Swan Lake". Finally, they are taken back to the auditorium to watch company class. The Learning Department staff who take these sessions are very adept at adapting to the age level of the participants so that they all feel included. Hopefully this information is of use and I hope Tulte's DD enjoys herself!

• Like 2

Irmgard- thanks for the insight into how other workshops have run: my dd likes to know what to expect!

Dancing10- I too found these hard to find tucked at the bottom of a page but was pleased to stumble across it and get a place for dd on the workshop at very short notice (plus not wildly expensive tickets for the production) as we/she had completely missed out on the whole summer school thing.

Useful to know BRB do something similar too.

My dd very much enjoyed this workshop (swan lake age 11-14). Great that ENB put these on, i hope there will be more in this age group for future productions.Dd wishes she was the one walking away with the signed pointe shoe!

Hope you also enjoyed it swanprincess.

• Like 1

Thanks Lil- it was Amazing!! and, Tulte, i dont mean to annoy your DD or anything, but.... that was me with the absolutely gorgeous signed shoes- its my birthday today :D I was so, so happy when the lady gave them to me!!! :) :) :) i was the girl in the pink Midland Theatre Ballet t-shirt, with a red ribbon in my hair & black leotard :) glad everyone enjoyed it- what colour leotards were your dd's in, Dancing10 & Tulte? xxx

• Like 2

Thought i had replied on this but post has dissapeared somewhere...

Swanprincess thats brilliant that you got the shoes! It was such a toughtful thing for the organisers to do.

My dd was also black leotard.. Tall, blond hair and one of the three girls with the same name!

oh yes dancing10 and tulte, i think i know who you mean- they were both lovely, and very talented! it was certainly a wonderful thing for ENB to do for me- those shoes will be cherished forever!!! :D I was also very lucky to get an absolutely gorgeous pair of Minden pointes, from Dancia in Covent Garden, as a birthday present from my mum!!! :D and thankyou lildancer xx

Edited to correct spelling errors- not quite awake yet ;)

Edited by swanprincess
  • Like 3