Hofesh Shechter Company: Grand Finale, London, September 2017

• John Mallinson changed the title to Hofesh Shechter Company: Grand Finale, London, September 2017

Thanks for the great photos, John. They have allowed me to see details I couldn't see last night because it was so dark on stage. (I know it was meant to be dark; but there's dark and there's not being able to see.) I did also find the first part rather repetitive and without the thrilling variety of imagery I associate with Shechter. However, the work was still fascinating, moving and absorbing. Many images of death, fear, chaos and bewilderment; but also love, hope, faith, even elements of peace. Beautiful section where snow falls gently while the orchestra plays The Merry Widow, and the dancers watch, listen and wonder. Many Munch-like Screams, over and over; but also tenderness and energy and the sense that no-one is alone. The last minutes brought strongly to mind that 'What will remain of us is love'. We may be surrounded by ever-moving threats, but still the music plays, the dancers dance, and a couple embraces. A man kneels, I think in prayer; and although we are hemmed in, we wait together for what we know the future will bring. A dark work (literally...); but powerful, profound and brilliantly performed.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...