Dance Scholars York

Jijoploolop

Hi Jijoploolop,

the York Scheme has changed a lot for this year’s intake. It used to be a more classical programme, then they announced it would be closing down. From memory, they said this was due to lack of funding and the fact that there are now lots of other similar schemes in the region. Then they announced that they would not close down after all, but rebrand as a more general dance scheme. Certainly, in the past it was always highly regarded and had a strong faculty including Peter and Shannon Parker and Gill Caplan. Several dancers have gone on to greater things (I think Xander and Demelza Parish went there??). I believe class sizes were around the 30 mark. However, with all the changes, don’t know who the faculty are or what the class structure will be this year. I do hope they bring back their summer school though (cancelled amidst all the changes this year) - it was excellent.

Edit - Just checked their web page - excellent faculty! Have come across most of them and all fab :) 

Edited by BlueLou
adding details re faculty

Hi Ladies, 

Many thanks for your replies. I had read the older threads Jan. I just wondered if the intake was similar this year. I'm very doubtful dd will get in but I'm prepared to eat my words if she does. I have heard of a few of the faculty. Dd will be incredibly lucky to have such wonderful teachers if she's successful! Now... the waiting for an answer!

• 2 weeks later...

The old scheme was well regarded, but this is a new scheme, with a bit more emphasis on musical theatre I believe, whereas it was purely ballet before ( so I understand ) so people don't quite know what it is going to be like, although a lot of the faculty look the same to me!  It is ( I think ) the only one in the York area, as the others all appear to be in Leeds or even further afield. I 'think' I've been told that originally it was a RAD associate scheme but when it stopped, it was carried on by some volunteers.

DD was due to audition this year, but had exams on actual audition day, then they kindly said she could audition another day during one of the weekly classes, but that then clashed with a performance commitment.  DD is thinking about auditioning next year.

• Like 1

Dd is thrilled she was offered a place! Like I said we're very new to it so it will be a learning curve for both of us. The classes last from 10.15 -2.30 so it's a long day, I'm hoping she'll cope with it. There are a few others from her school going too so she's with friends. Hopefully it'll be a successful year!

• Like 1