Trying to find a new Freed maker

Lucia R

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum so hello!

This is a question for anyone with experience of wearing or fitting a variety of freed makers. I'm in the process of finding a new maker now that F has just retired, and am viewing this as an exciting opportunity to find a maker who works even better for me! Does anyone know of any makers who make a similar shape box? The girl I spoke to in the st martins lane shop could only think of wine glass maker off the top of her head and they didn't have any in for me to try, they're going to ask the warehouse about other similar makers, but in the meantime it would be interesting to hear people's opinions.

Thanks!

Hi Lucia R and welcome to the Forum. :)

Do you know who you spoke to at Freed? My daughter had the same problem when Key Maker left. After a bit of trial and error she now has 3 makers she likes. If you haven't already spoken to Beth, the Manager, she would be perfect as she knows the shoes inside out.

• Like 1

Hi Anna C and thank you for the welcome ????

I didn't get her name unfortunately, I was just picking up my (probably last ????) pair of F maker shoes and and she seemed not very interested in making a lot of effort and I didn't push as I didn't have a lot of time. Thats useful to know thanks - I'll have to ask for Beth next time. Does it help to call ahead and ask for her so she knows to expect me? The problem is every time I go in they say they don't have more than 2 or 3 makers in stock in the shop, so maybe some advance notice would help

Thank you very much for your reply

Edited by Lucia R
  • Like 1

Beth's the Manager - tall, pretty, wears glasses. She's horribly busy most of the time and out at meetings quite often, so definitely worth phoning ahead. If Beth isn't in then Sophie and Jade are also very knowledgeable about the pointe shoes.

There are quite a few makers so I suppose the shop can't keep all of the Makers in all of the sizes and variations, but if you can find two makers who you like, it's easier. You can also ask about putting a special order in - if your feet have stopped growing though, because orders can take a couple of months each time.

I'm sure people here must think I work for Freed or get commission, but I don't! :) My daughter's been wearing their shoes for some years, that's all.

• Like 3

Once you and Beth have settled on a shoe, then she will order in when you email her and keeps your details running at the shop. If you're lucky there's often another ballerina who wears the same shoe so you both keep ordering ahead of time so they are in stock when you need them. If you ring ahead to make sure she is working the day you intend to visit

I think it also depends on style in freed but I went from wineglass to fish as being slightly less tapered so may be worth trying them. Although they are meant to be on the tapered side I still found them square compared to grishko etc so best thing is probably just to try them. Are you an unusual size as it seems odd that they would only have a couple of makers

Thank you everyone for your replies!

They are getting in a variety of makers so I can try them, to include wineglass and any others that the lady at the warehouse thinks may be suitable.

Apparently they've reduced the number of shoes they keep in stock as there isn't much space and 'there were pointe shoes everywhere'

• Like 1