Dar danse morocco summer school

Dizzyballetmum

Dd and I went in 2015 after she won a scholarship. It was the best summer school she has ever attended. Amazing teachers, beautiful setting. Dd was at the end of year 9 at the time, there were a few that were at the end of year 8 but no younger. The oldest was 16. There were 20 girls split into two groups. Full days of ballet, rep and body conditioning. I think there is an old thread on this that may help you x

• Like 2

Just supporting cdr on this. Our dd also on a scholarship and was just 13 at end of yr8 when she did it (2015 but week before cdr). We went with dd and made it our family holiday as felt dd too young to go that far on her own. Best 'holiday' we've had in a long time, watching dd dance all day and then dips in the pool, fabulous! Amazing teachers, fabulous classes - ballet, rep and contemporary. No pointe tho as would have wrecked their shoes - infact kept her wrecked ballet shoes as a souvenier!. We all enjoyed it so much and would love to do it again.

Edited by Dancing unicorn
  • Like 2

We too enjoyed it and I thought the teachers were lovely in class and it is certainly relaxing. Things which were perhaps not quite so great/mean my DD would not want to go back:

- per hour of dance, this summer school works out very expensive. You are paying for a holiday really. On at least one of the days there is a trip out, so only one class on that day. If your DD is year 7 there will probably be more than enough dance though.

- obviously Morocco is not the safest ever tourist destination in common with a lot of the countries in N Africa, although it is very heavily policed and it is not as if the terrorism risk is zero in the UK. 

- the roads are dangerous. It is a very long and rather hairy road trip from the airport. 

- setting is beautiful but it is a charming and rustic (albeit v large) family home. Don't expect a five star hotel or five star hotel service (it is not 5* price but mention this anyway).

- there are lots of creepy crawlies which my DD struggled with at night and the solar panel electricity supply (therefore hot water) is a bit hit and miss for some of the rooms.

- the girls are certainly not over indulged on the food front: you might want to take a few extra healthy snacks in the bag if you decide to go. Adults are fed more but you probably won't put on weight and don't expect a choice of food. If you need sugar there is plenty of wine!   

• Like 1

Haha! Yes - the floor of the openair studio was very rough and therefore wore out a pair of canvas ballet shoes in 3 days!! So if going don't take brand new shoes, especially satin!

The place is in the middle of nowhere, so you have to expect lack of wifi, the occasional lack of power, the creepy crawlies. It was more like staying in someones private home with its own outside studio and pool, oh and not forgetting the onsite camel rides!

And yes the journey there was interesting, but it all adds to the charm of the place.

• Like 2

The 3 hour mini bus transfer from Marrakech to Dar Danse was a little concerning but now I believe you can fly into Essarouria which is only 45 minutes away.

The year we went Dd did 2 weeks at YBSS which left her tense and deflated. A highly competitive environment with little personal attention. Dar Danse was the total opposite, nurturing, supportive, went right to the heart of dance and what she was there for. We left as they say with a little bit of " the bubble" in our hearts.

The only other time we have felt that is at MBS and OPES. It all depends on what you are looking for x

• Like 2

http://www.wellsballetcourses.com/

Here is a link to the new website.  Francesca is giving a one day course on 21 May in UK at her studio in Arundel, details on the site. DD did many of the courses over the years from Tunbridge Wells onwards.  She had a fabulous time and only missed one or two years.

Edited to correct location. 

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 1